Need Help:Locating 691 Recoil Block

Discussion in 'Sako Long/Magnum Actions' started by Dayton, Sep 17, 2014.

1. Dayton

Dayton Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    Hello all,
    I am currently experiencing the dilemma of locating a recoil block I can buy for my Sako L691. I need to buy another recoil block so I can bed this barreled action in a McMillan stock I have on order. Midwest Gunworks and Acculfite are out of stock with no projected times on getting more recoil blocks. Numrich, Brownells, and Midway do not carry this part. Does anyone know where I can find a recoil block? It's the same block for the 491/591/691s.

Thank you

2. Dayton

Dayton Member

Country Flag:
    USA
  3. emmerth

emmerth Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    Dayton, what is wrong with the one currently on the gun? I have had a few actions bedded with no damage to the action, barrel, or block.

4. Dayton

Dayton Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    The rifle started life as an L691 Classic. The original recoil lug is glass-bedded into the factory wood stock. I am keeping the wood stock the way it is, but I am also putting the barreled action into a McMillan stock and thus need an additional recoil lug. I do not want to mess with the bedding and recoil lug in the wood stock.

5. emmerth

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    Sorry but I might be thinking about something else but isn't the recoil block bolted to the L691 action? So when you pull the action from its current stock, you will be pulling the block out also? Or, and I thinking about something else?

6. Dayton

Dayton Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    The L691 has a removable recoil lug, that is separate from the action. The recoil block was already bedded to the wood stock when I bought the rifle. I would suspect the factory did it.

This is the recoil block: A boss on the bottom of the receiver, that the front action screw threads into, fits into to the hole on the recoil lug when bolted together into the stock.

Sako recoil block S584S299.jpg

7. emmerth

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    Correct, so when you pull the action out, the block will also be removed. You could then just bed the action into the new stock with the same block. I would also not want to monkey with removing the block for each stock. This may change how it sits into the stock when you remount it. Just my thoughts...

8. Dayton

Dayton Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    No, the lug will not also be removed. If you reread my previous post, the recoil lug is glass-bedded into the factory wood stock. The recoil block will not come out when the action is pulled out. The block is bedded into the stock....

No I can't. The recoil block is bedded into the wood stock and it cannot be removed without messing up the action bedding. I do not want to mess with the bedding and recoil block in the wood stock, which is why that recoil block is staying bedded in the wood stock, and the reason why I am looking or a second recoil block for the McMillan stock......

We agree. I don't want to monkey with removing one block for each stock either. Which is why the first recoil block is staying bedded in the factory wood stock and why I am trying to allocate a second recoil block I can bed into the McMillan stock.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
  9. emmerth

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    So how do you unscrew the block from the action? If it is not screwed onto the action, what good is it doing?

10. Dayton

Dayton Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    The block is not screwed onto the action. The boss on the receiver simply slides into the hole on the recoil lug.

When it's all bolted together into the stock, it functions like any recoil lug...

11. BrandonMarshTX

BrandonMarshTX Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
  12. m995

m995 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    Most gunsmiths or ( small ) machine shops could make this for you for a reasonable amount. Just give them accurate dimensions.

13. Dayton

Dayton Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    I did see the Tikka recoil lug on Brownells. Since the part number was different than for the Sako L691 recoil lug, I thought there might be something different between the two recoil lugs.

At that price, it is worth a try. Thanks for the information.

14. Dayton

Dayton Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    I have thought about that option. However, with the only recoil I have to measure being glass-bedded into the factory wood stock, I cannot get all the dimensions I need without taking the lug out of the stock and thus wrecking the bedding job.

15. CSM/USA (ret)

CSM/USA (ret) Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Dayton, how did you resolve this issue? I am currently in the same boat and desperately looking for a recoil block for a M591.....no one seems to have them....I am willing to have one machined but can't find the specs/dimensions.......any info you have on how you resolved this would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

16. Hank

Hank Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New Hampshire
    Hello, Were you able to locate the dimensions for the recoil lug? I am in the same situation for my 691 which I understand is the same size as the 591.
    Regards,
    Hank

17. CSM/USA (ret)

CSM/USA (ret) Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I eventually found a replacement factory recoil lug. The entire process was frustrating. I contacted Sako in Finland who confirmed they have them, PLENTY of them but they unfortunately can't sell directly to a consumer, they would have to sell to either MGW or Beretta USA and niether of thos companies appeared interested in placing an order to get them on the shelf. I eventually found one at a custom gun shop in Britain called Brock and Norris.....not sure if they would have anymore on the shelf or available. My local gunsmith assured me that any good gunsmith could machine one by simply getting the measurements for it off the stock....thankfully I didn't have to go that route....Beretta USA appears to now own the rights to Sako in the US and they are less than helpful when you contact them with any request for assistance for a Sako...ESPECIALLY for older models no longer being manufactured. Once I secured the replacement recoil lug my gunsmith graciously glass bedded it with a "release agent" to facilitate removal if I ever decide to change to a different stock. My advice is to scour european boards or to take the rifle to a quality gunsmith/machine shop and have them get the measurements to machine one off the stock.