Need help identifying my dad's Sako in .222 Remington

Discussion in 'Sako Short Actions' started by Wild Turkey, Mar 12, 2018.

1. Wild Turkey

Wild Turkey Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Kentucky
    Dad bought this rifle in the early '60's to control coyotes in the Texas Panhandle. He missed the first few he shot at because he would lead them too much and the "Triple Deuce" would zip right past their nose.

Now I'm trying to identify it's model and get an idea of when it was made.

It's stamped "SAKO Riihimaki n:eek: 39611" on the side of the receiver and "Cal..222" on the barrel.

My problem is that according to tikka.fi/sites/default/files/SakoOldmodelsNumbering.pdf
    Model -- First date -- First number -- Last number -- Last date
    L46 ja L469 -- 25.09.1946 --1 --- 57000 --- 25.09.1962
    L461 --- 26.09.1962 --- 57001 ---134252 --- 27.12.1973

Am I correct in thinking the serial number puts it in the later part of the "L46 ja L469" production?

Is there source of manuals/information on caring for the rifle?

It's been in a case it's whole life but I'm sure fresh oil would be good for it.

Thanks for the help.

And the local ground hogs (woodchucks) need to find a good hiding hole!

2. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    As Sako didn't make rifles in sequential order with the serial numbers it's not safe to assume anything about it's born on date. We have evidence of Sakos with consecutive serial numbers being made years apart & serial numbers thousands apart being shipped in the same lot. Fortunately, your rifle falls within the serial number range that our club has factory data on. If you just click on "Factory Records Service" at the top of this page you can request a search for all the info available on your Model L46. Storing a firearm in a case is not a good thing! Fastest way I know to cause surface rust. Giving the bore a good scrubbing would probably be a good idea as well. Peruse the forum section about the L46 & the" short action" Sakos & you should gain all the insight you need to properly care for & operate your rifle.

3. Ranger140892

Ranger140892 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Mississippi