Need advise in saving an old L579

Discussion in 'Sako Medium Actions' started by Mark Lazaroff, Mar 4, 2020.

1. Mark Lazaroff

Mark Lazaroff Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Virginia
    I have a circa 1963 L579 Forester with a Bofors barrel in .308 Winchester. The rifle is nice, but it is missing the bolt. I have read enough to know that finding a bolt (not just a bolt body) is very difficult. This rifle has a vintage Bausch & Lomb Balvar 8A 2.5-8X rifle scope with a Kuharsky Brothers adjustable scope mount because the Balvar does not have internal adjustments. The Balvar is interesting in that the reticle is in the first focal plane. Very advanced for the day.

What would you do with this rifle?

2. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Like you said, finding a bolt is unlikely so it appears to me you have three options. Take a bolt from another L579, that you already have or can purchase, and put it in your 308 & check to see if the headspace is within spec. If so, use that bolt in both rifles. After all, the boltfaces are all the same regardless of caliber & you can only shoot one at a time. If the headspace isn't right this option would not work, but most often bolts will interchange because of Sako's tight manufacturing tolerances. Second option would be to sell the existing rifle/scope/mount combo off in pieces to maximize the proceeds & use that money to buy a complete rifle. Third option is to buy a used & abused L579, which many times you can buy for what a bolt alone would cost if you found one, & fit the bolt to your rifle. Then sell the "parts" off to recoup some of the expense. Good luck!! BTW, an AII bolt will also work.

Furdown likes this.
  3. Mark Lazaroff

Mark Lazaroff Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Virginia
    It sure looks like those are the options. Good to know the AII bolt will fit. Gives me more options trying to find a donor rifle.

4. Unclekax

Unclekax Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New York
    If it were mine I would find a .243 and use the bolt in both.

5. Mark Lazaroff

Mark Lazaroff Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Virginia
    I found a bolt that is coming in next week. I don't know yet what it will cost. The cheapest L579 I have found is $650. All options are still open.

6. northernlights

northernlights Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New Hampshire
  7. Mark Lazaroff

Mark Lazaroff Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Virginia
  8. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    That's a really nice looking custom job. I suspect it will ultimately sell for more than a "beater" L579, but you never know. The bottom metal is from an earlier L579 action than the serial number on the receiver indicates. Since it is a custom that doesn't really matter, however.

9. ricksengines

ricksengines Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    For what it is worth, there are two Sako L579 receivers up for auction on Proxibid now. One is a complete receiver and the other is a barreled action missing the lower guard and magazine. You might want to give this a shot as picking up one or the other would solve the bolt problem and I'm betting the price should be comparable to that of a complete bolt assembly.

rick

FLT likes this.
  10. Mark Lazaroff

Mark Lazaroff Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Virginia
    My rifle has a Pachmeyer recoil pad. Is that an aftermarket item or was that original? It fits perfectly and looks original. The stock is walnut and has white line spacers on the pistol grip bottom and the butt.

11. marlin92

marlin92 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    It would be after market

12. Mark Lazaroff

Mark Lazaroff Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Virginia
    The vendor wants $600US for a bolt. In my opinion, that is too much and this rifle looks like it will be a tomato stake.

13. marlin92

marlin92 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    If you have another L579 you could swap the bolt between the barreled actions after headspacing this gun you are missing the bolt for. If not as advised might be cheaper to buy another gun
    and part it out keeeping the bolt or just part this one out and put the money toward complete gun.

14. Furdown

Furdown Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US South Dakota
    For that kind of money I would just buy another forester and switch bolts between after headspace check, afterall 2 sakos is better than 1

15. Mark Lazaroff

Mark Lazaroff Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Virginia
    That seems like the best option at this point.