Need a few L461 parts

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Sako parts' started by SevenT6Vet, Feb 27, 2016.

1. SevenT6Vet

SevenT6Vet Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Virginia
    Gotcha. I borderline got in a friendly argument with an older lady who swore her short extractor was the only one that would fit in my L461. I asked her to send me a pic of her extractor, or for me to send a pic of my bolt, and she declined to participate. they are a reputable business, so I told her I would just call her back.

2. marlin92

marlin92 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    Glad I sent you a post so you didn't wind up with more items you couldn't use.

3. SevenT6Vet

SevenT6Vet Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Virginia
    I edited the first post again. I need the release pin that holds the trigger in as the Timney trigger didn't come with one.

Definitely....thank you!

4. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia
    You can make that trigger pin from a drill bit (sort of like a slave pin).

5. SevenT6Vet

SevenT6Vet Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Virginia
    Do you know the dimension of the pin? I found one online, and it says "1175020 SAKO VIXEN Trigger Pin, Old Style (Non Trigger Housing Type)", but since there are several pins associated with the trigger, i'm not sure if this is the one that connects it to the action or not. I called and they said the pin they have is 0.728" long x 0.078" diameter.

What size drill bit did you use?

thanks!

**EDIT** Just got off the phone with Timney triggers. They say it is 3mm diameter, not sure on length.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
  6. Branxhunter

Branxhunter Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Victoria
  7. marlin92

marlin92 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    if you have a caliper you should be able to determine the size of the pin. Measure the inside of the hole in the frame/receiver where the pin would go through from side to side and then measure the width from side to side over top of the hole in the frame/receiver. I think you will find the size yo be 10 mm length by 3 mm diameter, or .39 inches long x .12 inches in diameter Again measure it with a caliper to be sure.
    good luck

Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
  8. SevenT6Vet

SevenT6Vet Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Virginia
    I was going to hold off until tonight to post a picture, but I can't wait....I have a bolt being delivered today that is, allegedly, complete!

You are correct, the pin is 3mm in diameter. I found one for $5, but with $13 s/h. I'm trying to find a website that has both the pin and the trigger housing bolts so the S/H is justifiable. I'm researching which bolts fit which models...apparently other models will also fit the L461.

I scored some Sako engraved scope rings last night. They should be here later next week. I'll add some gold inlay to them at some point.

If this bolt fits, and i get the pin/trigger housing bolts, I should be able to take it to a gunsmith to have headspace adjusted and make this thing go bang! I won't have a bolt stop yet, but I don't think it is necessary for cautious benchrest shooting.

I'll post some pictures tonight (fingers crossed bolt is correct and complete as seller promised).

-Justin

9. ricksengines

ricksengines Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    Just thought I would add my two cents here. In my experience Sako machined the L46 and L461 bolts to some pretty tight specs. I have measured at least six bolts from each action and there isn't more than a very few thou difference between any of them At the range I interchanged the bolts between rifles and no headspace issues were found at all. So my advice is not to have the rifle headspaced. Measure first and I think you will find that the bolt fits fine and that there isn't any need to have the rifle headspaced.

rick

10. SevenT6Vet

SevenT6Vet Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Virginia
    Great advice under normal circumstances, but this gun was never actually completed at the factory. Winslow Arms Co put the custom Douglas barrel into the L461 action, but I have no way of knowing if the headspace was ever set. It likely was, but I'm not willing to risk it. Given this is my first "build", I'm going to have a local gunsmith check a few other things as well.

11. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Checking headspace is so simple, easy & low in cost that it would be foolhardy not to find out to be sure. Given headspace tolerance runs .004" max, having your local gunsmith check it out is a wise & prudent move. Let us know how your "build" goes.

12. SevenT6Vet

SevenT6Vet Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Virginia
    Check out the engraved bolt & rings! Bolt fits perfect.

Midwest sent me the wrong trigger, so I'm waiting for correct one to be reshipped.

Attached Files:

13. SevenT6Vet

SevenT6Vet Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Virginia
    Of course nothing is going to be easy...

New Timney trigger doesn't fit. I found one other instance of this happening and apparently the gun smith had to file down back of trigger and file down action. I was hoping this would be "plug and play".

Is this common or did Timney screw up?

Attached Files:

14. blackjack

blackjack Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    UK
    State/Region:
    UK Crest
    Good Evening Sako Lovers,

Can anyone help - I'm looking for a front sight for a Sako L461 { 1967 } Standard barrel { not HB } soldered - on not screw - on. Also looking for parts for the rear tangent sight - I have the range plate & leaf - spring plus pin that goes through the frame. Luckily the person who took the tangent sight apart, did not grind the horns off of the frame. Thanks, and stay safe.

Blackjack