• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Mystery Solved?

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Hey all,
I had theorized some time ago that Sako manufactured and provided to the U.S. importers (FI, Garcia, Stoeger) what the importers thought the U.S. market wanted, yet Sako continued to produce models and configurations the rest of the world wanted. I think I may have proven that theory based on a rifle I was winning (and only bidder) on Gunbroker. Here are the specs.
Model: L61R Finnbear, Mannlicher Carbine
Caliber: 7mm Rem. Mag.
SN: 76430 (yes, that is correct)
Two-lug bolt, with receiver not milled for three lug (like my model 72)
Fixed Swivels, not studs.
Checkered base tops
Wood is gorgeous and is the lighter walnut like the model 72.
Identical to my pre-72 long action Mannlichers (metal finish/polish, wood checkering etc.)
Last but not least, but most important to my theory, there is no import stamp!
I have another Mannlicher in 7mm Mag., Garcia import, manufactured Aug-early Sept. 1971, SN 64127. Again, the new one is SN 76430.
Supposedly, Sako only made the Mannlicher with the Finnbear long action in 1971. I think the new rifle I have proves that Sako production of the long action Finnbear in Mannlicher configuration in 1971 only relates specifically to importation of the Mannlicher model into the U.S. by Garcia that year, so identified by the import stamp. The Mannlicher Carbine was discontinued as a U.S. import option by Garcia in 1972.
Regards, Will

Will, I largely concur with your hypothesis. And congratulations on latching onto yet another really nice Mannlicher (although I have a natural aversion to a magnum caliber with only a 20" barrel!)

Hey Stone,
Thanks! and yea, she is nice. 99% with orange paper shipping disk still on the rear swivel. Understand the magnum/20" barrel thing, but again, my theory shows that Sako Mannlicher stocked rifles, even in Mag. calibers, were popular and desired outside the U.S. Otherwise, why would Sako continue to produce them after Garcia discontinued it as an option for importation to the U.S.? Simply look at the large number of European rifle manufacturers who have produced a Mannlicher stocked rifle over the past 100 years, then look at U.S. manufacturers. Winchester (once with the Model 70) and Ruger with the M-77, Never a big hit in the U.S. Anyway, to summarize my theory;
I challenge anyone to produce a Sako L61R Finnbear, 5 digit serial number, Mannlicher carbine with a two-lug bolt with a U.S. company import stamp. I believe that will never happen because they don't exist.
Regards, Will

Latest posts

Back