• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

my tikka m97

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Arian

So here is rather uninteresting shotgun that serves me well.

I Got this for 190 euro to see if it could replace or compliment my husky 310. They are a plentiful (in finland) Italian made "Tikka" semi automatic. Its mostly steel and wood and reliable as hell cycling anything from 12/65 to 12/76 without fail in any conditions, Otherwise i cant say too mutch about it, i prefer my husky and plan to replace the "tikka" with newer side by side, still deciding on The gun, either another husky, a simson, a tikka SxS or (dont burn me at the stake!) a Baikal mp43 (steel proof, choke tubes).

But perhaps someone here finds something to discuss about it or wants to know more.

Attachments

• IMG_20240302_123504_984.jpg
    IMG_20240302_123504_984.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20240302_123453_651.jpg
    IMG_20240302_123453_651.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20240302_123449_917.jpg
    IMG_20240302_123449_917.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20240302_123445_349.jpg
    IMG_20240302_123445_349.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20240302_123436_412.jpg
    IMG_20240302_123436_412.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 6
Why not an over/under? Valmet has made some good ones, especially the 412 and 412S, which have interchangeable barrels. One action can be a shotgun, a double rifle, or a combination gun (haulikkorihla). Not all barrels fit all actions, but you can put together quite a set of hunting guns on one action. I would stay away from the Tikka 512, which is an Italian-made clone of the Valmet and is said to have quality control issues.

All of the Baikal sporting arms I have seen have been very crudely finished.

Here's a standard grade Valmet 412 20-gauge.
Valmet 412-1.JPG

Why not an over/under? Valmet has made some good ones, especially the 412 and 412S, which have interchangeable barrels. One action can be a shotgun, a double rifle, or a combination gun (haulikkorihla). Not all barrels fit all actions, but you can put together quite a set of hunting guns on one action. I would stay away from the Tikka 512, which is an Italian-made clone of the Valmet and is said to have quality control issues.

All of the Baikal sporting arms I have seen have been very crudely finished.

Here's a standard grade Valmet 412 20-gauge.
View attachment 33904
The reasons i dont like the semi auto are the same for over/unders. They feel clunky to me and dont inspire me mutch when i pick them up. SxS guns have a certain feel and balance to them. I would like a combination weapon but locally iam paying 1.5k for an old drilling with hard to get caliber or 400 for a Rusty valmet in some even more rare chamberings. They are highly desired here and priced as such. My Price range is more 200-600 for any gun. SxS guns are highly unpopular here so can be had as low as 80 euro for a baikal.

edit: forgot to mention, guns are licensed by caliber so changing barrels is subject to having a permit for a gun in that caliber. Such alterations are not legal to do on the fly and require the gun to be re-registered every time you change them even if its just a barrel.

Either way iam just very particular to SxS guns including double rifles. i can put a slug on target without a bead using my husqvarna SxS. My concern is that legislation will make my 100+ year old girl obsolete sooner or later and steel will eventually become mandatory everywhere.

the hare hunts in dense forest often only give me a glimpse of the animal in The early season so i need to be able to point the gun as fast as my finger. Nothing wrong with over under but they just feel like bricks to me by comparison.

Last edited:
All good reasons to favor the side-by-side. I like them myself; I have a somewhat customized A.H. Fox A grade set up for skeet or bird shooting, and when I lived in Belize I hunted with an inexpensive Stevens 311 20 gauge. Just thought I'd make a suggestion.

It is indeed unfortunate that gun ownership is subject to so much bureaucratic nonsense. I think much of this goes with EU membership. It seems to me that things were easier when I lived in Finland in the 90's, before EU. Of course, being a diplomat I was exempt from some of it, but it was much easier to own a gun in Finland than in the EU.

All good reasons to favor the side-by-side. I like them myself; I have a somewhat customized A.H. Fox A grade set up for skeet or bird shooting, and when I lived in Belize I hunted with an inexpensive Stevens 311 20 gauge. Just thought I'd make a suggestion.

It is indeed unfortunate that gun ownership is subject to so much bureaucratic nonsense. I think much of this goes with EU membership. It seems to me that things were easier when I lived in Finland in the 90's, before EU. Of course, being a diplomat I was exempt from some of it, but it was much easier to own a gun in Finland than in the EU.
In the Netherlands its mutch worse tho. On paper the rules are very comparable but the attitude is night and day. I feel that at least in my local PD they go out of their way to be cool about it within the rules. We have almost as many guns as people here, the chief constable in charge is great, always benefit of the doubt and it really hasnt backfired. But some rules are just set in stone like for instance the caliber thing. People i know have fully automatic weapons and its not uncommon to see people bring semi auto Ar15 and RK platforms to moose hunts. But i have heard Helsinki is a different matter for instance.

Luckily i have classic taste and double guns are so easy to get, i just went to the police and handed in my paperwork, had an interview and got my permit without arguement despite being a foreign citizen with no hunting background. My challenge now is that despite what i want(vintage) i really need a modern steel proof option but iam poor and cant get used to O/U or semi auto. Practicality aside i need to get that feeling when i pick the gun up, like it becomes a part of my arm. Both the huqvarna and sako AIII full stock gave me that feeling.

Latest posts

Back