My Sako PPCs

Discussion in 'Show us your Sako' started by RifleNutPPC, Jun 8, 2019.

1. RifleNutPPC

RifleNutPPC Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Virginia
    Here are a couple of pics of my two 22 PPCs and one 6mm PPC. Top is the Vixen single shot HB in 22 PPC. This has been my dream rifle for 30 years, just recently acquired it. Center is the Vixen Hunter in 6 PPC, and on the bottom is the S491 22 PPC. Top rifle has a 23 year old 6.5x20 Nikon scope, the Hunter has a Leopold 3x9 Rifleman, and the S491 has a new Nikon 6.5x20
    I used the 22s on a recent prairie dog hunt, my first time hunting them, and they performed very well. It took some time to get used to shooting in the South Dakota wind, which was so strong and gusty it blew everything away that wasn't staked down. 20190608_141456 (2).jpg 20190608_141525.jpg

6x47l, gowyo, Furdown and 1 other person like this.

2. gowyo

gowyo Sako Junkie

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Wyoming
    Nice! I have the same AI's. I still haven't shot the .22 ppc. Previous owner did though.

RifleNutPPC likes this.
  3. Foxhunter223

Foxhunter223 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    They are very nice indeed. I notice that the single shot Vixen is fitted with the factory target trigger.

Pete

RifleNutPPC likes this.
  4. RifleNutPPC

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Virginia
    Thanks! Yes it is. I haven't touched the adjustments; the previous owner did a great job. Does anyone know if any of the S491s have adjustable triggers? This one doesn't and is too heavy for really precise shooting.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
  5. RifleNutPPC

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Virginia
    I wasn't able to do much load development with the A1, but it shot pretty well 20190609_195943.jpg 20190609_200025.jpg with the load I had ready for the S491. Here are the first 2 groups I shot with it after I got it sighted in.

6. Foxhunter223

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    A good gunsmith can make the S491 a better trigger, but I chose to put a Jard in mine which seems to work well.

Pete

RifleNutPPC likes this.
  7. kirkbridgershooters

kirkbridgershooters Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Montana

I have never seen a need to replace a Sako trigger. They may be hard to get to pull under 3 pounds, but I have found that is good enough for my shooting. The single shot PPC's, however, have the best trigger you could ask for in a rifle and they adjust to a set trigger with the proper adjustment.

I did the same as you and got a few PPC's, but I looked a bit before I could come up with both the 22 and 6mm in deluxes as well as the single shots...

thumbnail_IMG_6667.jpg

8. RifleNutPPC

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Virginia
    Wow! Lovely, lovely! Let me know if you ever go off the deep end and want to sell those Deluxe models!

9. texgun

texgun Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Are the light colored one Deluxe models?

10. RifleNutPPC

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Virginia
    Yes they are. I'm not sure of all the differing characteristics between the Deluxe and the Hunter but some of them are: Skip line checkering, Rosewood fore end tip, and engraved floor plate. There's also another grade, I believe it's called Super Deluxe. (If I have it wrong, someone straighten me out) They have carved oak leaves mingled with the skip line checkering, more engraving, and probably much more. They look too nice to shoot!

deergoose likes this.
  11. texgun

texgun Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Thanks for the info Riflenut.

RifleNutPPC likes this.
  12. Foxhunter223

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    RifleNutPPC I forgot to mention if you want the best trigger money can buy for your S491 you can purchase a Bix'n Andy. These are currently very popular with the BR crowd and can be adjusted down to a couple Oz.

Pete

RifleNutPPC likes this.
  13. RifleNutPPC

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Virginia
    Thanks for the info