Short Actions My new Sako L461 came in today...it's got some wiggle in the stock

Discussion in 'Sako Short Actions' started by Humble308, Feb 12, 2020.

1. Humble308

Humble308 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Hey all,

My little vixen came in today and turned out to be in pristine shape. No rust to speak of, bore looks nice and the stock is good shape. I am having an issue of the barrel moving from side to side within the barrel channel. Actually what happens is if you rotate the rifle to either the left or right side the barrel seems to shift. I'm attaching a short video of the issue as well as some photos of the stock itself. I've marked some X's where I feel a bit of raised wood is. The recoil lug inlet seems very spacious in comparison with the actual lug...from the photo you can see the impression and it seems in full contact. Anyone else experienced and issue like this ? I'll go shoot it Friday and normally a hair of movement wouldn't be a big deal but when gravity itself is causing the barrel to move like that then something is up. Any input is appreciated...feeling like I'm going to have to bed this thing. All the best.

Sako1.JPG Sako2.JPG Sako3.JPG

ricksengines likes this.

2. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    The recoil lug should only make contact with wood on the back side. Looks like the bottom is making contact as it's impression is in the wood. Just doesn't look like any Sako inletting I have ever seen. Are you sure that is a factory stock??? I have just never seen any Sako factory inletting that butchered up. That rifle just couldn't have left the factory that screwed up.

3. Humble308

Humble308 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    OK, terrific at least I know I'm not crazy. I spent a good portion of last looking for pictres of factory L461 inletting as it just didn't look right to me. I'm not sure at all if it's a factory stock...the plastic buttplate has a Sako logo on it but outside of that there's nothing else. I've seen a few sako stocks that look like mine so I don't know. Worst case scenario it looks like Boyds makes some Sako A1 stocks (anyone have experience with the boyds version?) that might work as a replacement. Wondering if anyone has some pictures of some L461 inletting that I could see for comparison?

4. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    It would be a simple matter to glass bed the barreled action to the stock so that it fits properly. No need to get a different stock. Another thing you might check is that the mag well is properly seated before tightening the action screws.

cl_leg likes this.
  5. Humble308

Humble308 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Thanks Paul, I got some Marine Tex on order last night in the event I needed it, looks like that's going to be the case. I checked the action with the mag box taken out and got the same rocking. How have yall been bedding these actions? I normally do the entire barreled action including the rear tang and a bit of the chamber area of the barrel. Doing a bit of searching last showed that folks haven't had the best results with bedding the chamber area. All the best.

6. douglastwo

douglastwo Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I've not seen a L461 stock where the front swivel is a screw in stud. All I've seen have attached the front swivel by drilling a hole through the forearm and using a nut inside the barrel channel to secure the swivel.

7. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Good eye, douglastwo. You're right -- although the stock's checkering in the video looks like that of a factory Sako stock it may well be a non-factory stock. I agree with paulson that, unlike most Sako stocks, it might benefit from rebedding with glass.

8. 6x47l

6x47l Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    Are you sure a beaver has not been having a chew on that stick.
    As has been suggested glass bed it leaving just the back of the recoil lug in contact

9. Humble308

Humble308 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Thanks so much everyone, I'll post an update after the bedding job. I'll shoot it tomorrow, hopefully no other issues reveal themselves.

10. Foxhunter223

Foxhunter223 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    douglastwo I have checked my Sako A1 that is still factory standard and it has a front wood screw in type of swivel stud and I know my L461 did as I changed it to a thread screw in type myself from the wood screw in type when I had it re-barrelled a few years ago.

Pete

11. douglastwo

douglastwo Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Foxhunter,
    I'm not familiar with the A series rifles. I attached a couple photos of a L461 stock that shows the swivel studs I'm familiar with on the early pre72 rifles. If you've seen different style sling studs they could be a Sako oddity that I haven't seen. One of my favorite oddities are the different floorplate engraving patterns found on the Deluxe Sporters. Another good things is that the forum has show us a lot of Sako's that many of us have never seen.

L461  sling swivel.JPG L461sling swivel.JPG

12. Foxhunter223

Foxhunter223 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    Wow, none of mine are like that ! I also checked the 222 this morning and it also has the wood screw type. Two of the little Sako's are L461's and both those (223 and 222 ) and the 17 Rem is an A1, all have the wood screw type. Might just be another difference from what was sent to Australia and the USA.

Pete

13. Humble308

Humble308 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Well my friends, the gun shot pretty poorly. About 2" 5 shot groups with either RWS or Hornady at 50 yards and pretty close to 3" at 100. I'm able to do a return to the dealer, which I'm considering...I wasn't really trying to buy a project and all my tools are state side. We'll see, either way, I appreciate all the solid help on the forum. All the best gents.