Sako Finland My L61R Finnbear Deluxe

Discussion in 'Show us your Sako' started by ballisticdaddy, Apr 6, 2020.

1. ballisticdaddy

ballisticdaddy Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Colorado
    Good Morning All,

This is my first post as I am trying to find some information on a rifle that I inherited when I was a young man. I am now shooting mostly custom rifles in F-Class long range matches but this has been in my safe for years and until lately have never really appreciated the beauty of the wood or the depth of color in the bluing. After going through a few sites it appears to be a Sako L61R Finnbear Deluxe chambered in .25-06 and looking at the bolt face it does not seem to have many rounds down the barrel at all. I will attach a few photos on this rifle and the serial number is 537147 if that would assist in aging this piece. Would like to know as much about this rifle as possible as well as its approximate value.

Thank you in advance for any info you can provide!

IMG_0653.jpg IMG_0655.jpg IMG_0654.jpg IMG_0656.jpg IMG_0657.jpg

icebear, Norway.375 and Stephen Cea like this.

2. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    It is only possible to give an approximation of production dates with any Sako we don't have factory records on, like yours. If it is indeed stamped L61R on the left side of the receiver & it has the rear bolt shroud of the AIII, as pictured, then my guess is it is a rifle made during the transition from the L61R to the AIII stamping. Your serial number suggests it is from that time, as well. Sako used up all it's parts during these "transitions" & it is not uncommon for A series bolt to be mated with L series actions. I would guess your rifle was made "around" 1978-79, as the AIII stamping was started in 1978 from what data is available. The "Sakolope" floor plate engraving is the most common one. Peruse the forum section on Sako long actions or do a search on L61R Deluxes for more details. Beautiful rifle!!!

FLT, ballisticdaddy and stonecreek like this.
  3. CVCOBRA1

CVCOBRA1 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Illinois
    25-06 would be a plus because they were few. 7RM., 30-06 and 300WM were the many.

ballisticdaddy likes this.
  4. icebear

icebear Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    Agreed. I've seen very, very few Deluxes in .25-06. That striped wood is beautiful, better than most of the wood used on the Deluxe. You are fortunate to have a Deluxe in an unusual caliber with wood that nice.