MY L579 FORESTER

Discussion in 'Sako Medium Actions' started by James Leeper, Oct 4, 2021.

1. James Leeper

James Leeper Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Indiana
    Hi All,
    I have had this rifle for about 30 years. I bought it used. It is a standard grade with no sights on the barrel. It does not have the Borfors stamp on the barrel. It is a .243 and does not have the importer stamped on the bottom of the barrel. It does have a capital A stamped on the bottom of the barrel next to the action. It does not have the shroud on the rear of the bolt. The serial number is 104,xxx and has the Sako .243 Win stamped on top of the barrel. I have always thought it most likely was a Garcia import but do not know for sure as the Sako numbers really do not have a set pattern. Thanks for any info you guys can provide.
    Have a great day.
    Jim

2. Old Hippie

Old Hippie Formerly known as bloorooster

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US West Virginia
    Photos would be helpful, but it sounds like you have a early 70’s Forester L579. With no import etching, it’s possible it could have been brought back by a US Service man. Not uncommon. 1970 was a transitional period for Sako, as some guns produced in the recent past and guns more recently changed with up dates were coming out together in batches and shipments.
    You’ve come to the right place to learn..welcome!

bloo

3. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    Probably a military bringback. If it was formally imported, it should have an importer stamp on it. Also, it would be very unusual to find a standard grade sporter made for the US market without a front sight. It might also be an informal import from Canada.

You could try the Forum's records service. For 25 bucks you can get a copy of the factory record showing when it was shipped and where to. The money goes to support the Forum's operating expenses. Link is on the main index page.