My First Sako - Left Hand AV 416 Remington Mag.

Discussion in 'Sako Long/Magnum Actions' started by Clayman, Jun 25, 2020.

1. ricksengines

ricksengines Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    Who not just rotate the scope 90 degrees as I suggested earlier.

rick

2. Clayman

Clayman Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    Haha! Fair point, Rick, but it's a LH rifle. There aren't any turrets in the way with the new scope and the old scope had three turrets.

3. northernlights

northernlights Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New Hampshire
    Clayman, I saw this listing for a Sako AV Deluxe on GB this morning and thought you might need/want/need one more lefty Deluxe in a more suitable caliber for PA. Hey, I'm just trying to help you spend your money...wisely! Good Shooting/Good Hunting!

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/873741167

(No affiliation with the GB auction)

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
  4. ricksengines

ricksengines Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    Will a set of higher mounts work? Leupold makes high mounts and extra high mounts.

rick

5. Clayman

Clayman Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    Oh, man that is sweet. I have to say, the quality and (so far) accuracy of these rifles is amazing. I think I'm a fan for life. That's a courteous notification, northerlights. Thanks very much.

UPDATE:
    I have closure on this issue, and it's stupid simple. The new scope fixed the "issue". Smaller scope tube, no gigantic turrets. The cases fly across the room every time.

I'll chalk this one up to a learning experience. Since I was old enough to know, the 1.5-5 Leupold has been the only DG scope in my mind. I tried something else just to be different and it bit me in the ass. Went back to the tried and true option. I'm off to the range!

As a related aside, the scope I got is a Vari-X III (not VX anything) that is NEW IN BOX and was made in 1990! It's a fitting complement to my time capsule rifle from 1992 that was also unfired. Weird to think I'll be taking a rifle to Africa that was made when I was in elementary school!

Rogan Kinnear and Unclekax like this.
  6. Unclekax

Unclekax Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New York
    Pleased to hear you got it all sorted
    I am inclined to agree on the 1-5 Leupold as hard to top.
    The A V 30/06 would be a sweet PA whitetail gun for sure.
    There are many so enablers on this board...

7. Clayman

Clayman Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    Ain't that the truth! That's true of most any forum/social group I know. If you want to get talked OUT of something, steer well clear! :D

Here's a picture of the corrected setup. I'll be honest and say in addition to the obvious functional improvements, the scope looks a helluva lot better on top of the rifle.

[​IMG]

I'll also get on my high horse about Leupold for a moment. The scope on there now, like I mentioned above, is 30 years old. What I've noticed between older Leupold Vari/VX III/3 models and the current VX-3i models is a drastic change in build quality. Don't get me wrong, the new ones are still tough as hell and the optics are great, but they lost a step with the redesign of their lines. The old scope is a subtle satin matte finish. The new VX3i's I have are almost parkerized the finish is so rough. I also don't like the new, squared-off, "tactical" look they're going for. Looks ridiculous on a classic style rifle. Turn the power knob on a new scope and an old one for another example of what I mean. The old one operates like it's on ball bearings. The new one is like two pieces of 400g sandpaper being rubbed together. They're still my default brand, but I think I'll stick to treasure trove used scope finds for future builds.

sraaw and ricksengines like this.
  8. Rogan Kinnear

Rogan Kinnear Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Queensland
    The final home remedy is to go irons like most big game hunters. Glad you got sorted. I find it stressful if I can't fix it. We live remote so it's a big drive without a guaranteed fix if I can't figure it out. Nice work!

9. Clayman

Clayman Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    Been a few weeks, and this damn thing is still for sale. Why art thou tempting me?!?! :mad::)

Figured I'd also update since the scope debacle was solved, load development and testing have commenced in full. I took a mental health day from work last week and hit the range. Tested light 350gr. Speer loads and some full-power RE-15 loads with some 400gr. Hornady FMJ's. The Hornadys are the old style FMJ's, not the newer DGS types. I have a load of them on hand from a gun show score and they work fine for goofing around and big bore shoots.

350gr. Mag Tips were using light H4895 loads, and I got a sub-1" 3 shot group with the most accurate of them running around 1950fps. It'll be perfect for putting the smack down on PA whitetails or black bear should the mood strike me.

The 400's w/RE-15 shot...OK. Best group was right at 1.5", running ~2380fps. That's certainly adequate for practice and buffalo, but I have to believe the gun is capable of better. I have some loaded with full charges of H4895 on the bench now, and will likely give IMR4166 a try, too. I've been very, very impressed with the Enduron line of powders but haven't had an application for 4166 until now.

Rogan Kinnear likes this.