• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Most sturdy mounts for Sako?

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Northern

I am about to purchase a set of Sako Ringmounts for my new Sako rifle, and prefer the "one-piece" Ringmounts compared to the base/ring set.

But, I was wondering if there is other systems out there, that you see as better in the sturdy department for the Sako dovetail system? The older rings Sako used?

Of course, without going to a Picatinny rail or drilling the dovetails for bases!

Most Sako enthusiasts prefer the old-style one-piece Sako ringmounts to the currently available "Optilock" mounts. The older mounts are amply strong but much more compact and weigh less.

There is nothing at all wrong with the Leupold mounts that Rick mentions, either. They are clean, compact, light in weight, and come in four different heights. I have had a set on Sako .375 H&H for over twenty years and they are going strong.

I’m customizing a 7mm 85 but I can’t find a dovetail system that accepts a 34mm tube, unless it’s for a TRG. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Omar-
Since your going custom, you might consider a Contessa picatinny rail which will go over the Sako dovetails. Then just pick the 34 mm rings which suit the height you need.

Northern -
The above from others is great info. I will add this. It really boils down to personal preference and budget. On an older rifle I would try and stay period to the rifle. Just my preference. On a newer series rifle the Optilock ring mount system is super stout and they have poly inserts to protect the maintube. They are however the heaviest. I also have the Leupold and Redfield systems. All have worked for many years without issues.

Thanks Sean, that’s useful information. I don’t really like the look of the picatinny rails- my rifle will be a traditional wooden stock- but I can set up everything and then have the slots milled flat.

Back