Moose medicine (9,3x53R)

Discussion in 'Sako Ammunition' started by sserlachius, Feb 4, 2014.

1. sserlachius

sserlachius Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Finland
    012.jpg

Hi guys,

This is the first moose rifle I ever had and in 1974 did my "moose test" with. With the Sako ammo it's
    deadly on any game in Finland.:shocked2:

Cheers and enjoy the hunting;

SS

Last edited: Feb 4, 2014

2. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Is this cartridge also known as the 9.3x53R Swiss? I had no idea that Winchester ever put it in their Model 1895. What a rare and wonderful combination!

3. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Wonder if that could be one of the 1895's Winchester sold to the Russian military around the WWI time frame or just prior to? Looks like a military ladder type rear sight. Those Finns were good at taking weapons away from the Russians.

4. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I would have thought that all of those Russian rifles were chambered in 7.62x54. The 9.3x53R might use a very similar bolt face, however, so it might be simple to rebarrel a Russian rifle to that caliber. Maybe sserlachius can shed some light on it for us.

5. sserlachius

sserlachius Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Finland
    Moose Medicine....

Right you are. - That rifle was originally one of those "Russian Winchesters" 7,62x54R of which eventually
    after the Finnish Civil War and Russian Revolution there was a great surplus in Finland. Many of them were converted (by Sako and others) to moose calibers in 8 or 9mm (apparently the military caliber was at that time
    not permitted for hunting). The one I have, I inherited from my father and he had it converted in 1947 at a
    company in Helsinki called Schröder, which is still existing today (mainly for fishing equipment). Most probably
    Sako did the job for Schröder. - Sako still occasionally loads ammunition for this caliber. The rifle is very accurate; it´s light and comfortable to carry and to shoot. - If the rifle today would be in its original condition
    it would have some collector value, I suppose?

Brgds,
    SS

6. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I think it is even more valuable than in original condition since it has its complete history with it. Fascinating, and thanks for sharing!

7. alpine hunter

alpine hunter Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Victoria
    Another very nice combination of rifle and ammo! I think I would pick this one over the 303!
    This 9.3x53R is often known as the Finnish to distinguish it from the Swiss.

I have one box of a bit older vintage. Nice to see it still in production, even if it is just occasional.
    [​IMG]