Model verification.

Discussion in 'Sako Medium Actions' started by eddie wiercioch, Sep 12, 2019.

1. eddie wiercioch

eddie wiercioch Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia
    Good day, I have a Sako 270 Winchester wood stock. I suffered a injury to my index finger on my right hand and I’m unable to use it. I’m looking for a thumb hole stock but I’m not quite sure the exact model of my rifle. My serial number is. A III 542651 . Thank you for any direction you can give me

2. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    AIII is the model, not part of the serial number. It is the a long action Sako that followed the L61R Sako. The only difference was the AIII had a rear bolt shroud. They made it from 1978 to about 1981 when they introduced the AV which has a longer rear tang. Any stock for a L61R or AIII will have the same action inletting. The barrel channel may differ as Sako used different barrel contours. The later L61R's & the AIII had a slightly heavier contour than the early long actions.

3. Sean Hodges

Sean Hodges Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    Very sorry to hear of your injury.

Boyd’s Hardwood Gunstocks can make a thumbhole stock for your rifle. Reasonable as far as price goes. From what I hear, they make an acceptable replacement, although I don’t personally own one. Some fitting may be necessary, but achievable. Maybe others here can contribute experience they’ve had. Good luck, hope you find something which works for you.

4. eddie wiercioch

eddie wiercioch Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia
    Thank you very much for the information is greatly appreciated!

5. eddie wiercioch

eddie wiercioch Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia
    Thank you for the information it is very much appreciated!