Model 85 Good Gun ?

Discussion in 'Sako 75, 85 and A7' started by Tracy Redpath, Nov 27, 2020.

1. Tracy Redpath

Tracy Redpath Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Minnesota
    How good are the current model 85 Sako's. I'm looking for a .243 with a nice wood stock. How does the craftmanship of new guns compare to older guns. The older Deluxe ones are hard to find in really good shape. TIA for any input

2. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Kinda depends on who you ask. The 85 has had issues with ejection depending on caliber & scope used. There also have been cases of the dovetails being mis-machined discussed here. Beretta has ignored these problems & the customer service/response has been lacking. Most of the interest & discussion here focuses on the earlier L & A series rifles, but if you search the forum there are threads about the 85 that may help you with your questions. I personally would pick an older Sako @ less than half the price of a new 85, no matter it's cosmetic appearance. Better rifle for less money. No brainer!

Tracy Redpath likes this.
  3. cl_leg

cl_leg Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA Ontario
    I have a 85 GreyWolf in 243. Probably will never part with it. Very accurate, no issues.

Tracy Redpath likes this.
  4. bigcountry4me

bigcountry4me Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    We have both both vintage rifles and modern 85’s. We’ve had great success with the modern version but they do not have the nearly mystique as owning and shooting the vintage versions. Our 85’s will never compete from that aspect, but they have filled a niche we needed.

Our first 85 was a Finnlight. My hardcore wife simply needed a much lighter offering. Her go to rifle is highly accurate. Sub MOA all day, every day. One 85 led to a few more - and so on. They are all highly accurate, and frankly, may out shoot most of our vintage offerings. I feel the barrels are as good as it gets. The actions are glass smooth. Triggers are fine for a hunting offering. Fit and finish have always been very good in our experience. But at just south of 2K for a basic wood offering, you should expect that type of quality.

Fortunately we have not had the issues paulson has pointed to. Those ongoing issues are well documented as he points out. Personally, I feel some of the issues are user induced, but do understand the higher angle of ejection may limit scope mounting choices to properly clear the port.

In my opinion the maker may have not properly tested thoroughly regarding tube size, turrets, and heights. We have kept ALL of our set ups reasonable and traditional. The dovetail issue is completely and totally unacceptable. QC department would be fired immediately if a misaligned set of dovetails left the factory on my watch. Sorry - I have much higher expectations than the parent company.

Personally, I’m always looking for vintage offerings. Not so much regarding 85’s - and as paulson has offered, even a vintage deluxe if you’re patient can be purchased for south of the cost of an 85. Obviously, your taste for vintage vs modern and mystique vs potential performance will weigh on your decision. Hope this helps.

Unclekax and Tracy Redpath like this.
  5. Tracy Redpath

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Minnesota
    Thanks for your opinions. There is a Sako stocking dealer in SW. MN. that I think I'll visit tomorrow.

6. Tracy Redpath

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Minnesota
    I bought a Model 85 Bavarian Full Stock in .243. I'll post pics tomorrow. Kjergaards Sports very nice store and sales persons to deal with.

CerebralDistortion likes this.
  7. Bernie’s Dad

Bernie’s Dad Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Connecticut
    I own a new model 85 in 7 mm 08. I also own a 1972 FinnBear in 30 06 and a 1979 AV in 7x64. I believe all are very good quality rifles. The 85 is lighter in weight and the wood is not quite as pretty as in the older models. The action is beautiful. It extracts and ejects perfectly. It is accurate. It has a better safety since it has the button that lets you operate the bolt in safe. It also has a removable magazine although I don't really care about that.

The older Sako's feel like they are better built, to me, but that might be because they are heavier and feel more substantial. I believe the 85s in long action models have ejection problems - the long cases hit the scopes. My short 7mm 08's touch the scope on the way out and don't eject as far as when the scope is off, but they eject every time.

Generally, I think my new 85 in 7mm 08 is a well made high quality rifle. I hope that helps.

CerebralDistortion likes this.
  8. Bucktote

Bucktote Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia
    Hello Bernie's dad, and other series 85 owners. I just read an older post and there are many threads about the maladies connected with the 85 series of Sakos. Dovetail misalignment, ejection problems and they are not unique to just a few rifles. The accuracy seems not to be in question as the form & fit seem to have no big issues. What I see as the problem seems to be the reluctence of the parent company NOT being concerned with the problems that seem to have plagued thet series of rifles.

Further if you peruse the used Sako rifles adds, like I sometimes do, there is a plethora of model 85 rifles ( even newer ones are) for sale!! It seems that the owners of them want to get rid of them. However that is just a conclusion that I have made. It reminds me of a man or woman that builds a business built upon quality products & service and turns the business over to his children. Sadly, only to see the business fail due to the lack of customer appreciation!! and poor quality service all the way around. A reputation their customer base has come to expect. I hope that the parent company of Sako come to realize that they are ruining the reputation of a long standing quality mannufacturer of fine rifles, move to correct the problems that exist and be more attentive to their world wide inherited customer base.
    May I quote Mr. Paulson, just my two cents!!

Last edited: Aug 30, 2021
  9. Bernie’s Dad

Bernie’s Dad Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Connecticut
    Could all be true. Still I got a good one. I think mine is an excellent rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Bucktote

Bucktote Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia
    B's Dad,
    Glad you have a good one!!
    All the best, B/T

Bernie’s Dad likes this.