Model 78 in my sights

Discussion in 'Sako Rimfires and Small Action Rifles' started by gowyo, Jan 25, 2020.

1. gowyo

gowyo Sako Junkie

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Wyoming
    Howdy SCC'ers,

I'm looking at a model 78 in overall very good condition. It has a one inch long scratch on the stock, otherwise clean. The gentleman has two additional magazines with it, he's asking $795 for it. My understanding is the magazines are as rare as hen's teeth, I'm curious if any of you know what they go for? I did run across the gentleman on RF Central that is making aftermarket mags, so there is that option. Who here owns one and what kind of accuracy are you getting? And Mr. Pender, no comparison to your full stock...

2. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    .22 LR? Outstanding accuracy. .22 Hornet? Acceptable, but not as good as my Brno 465.

3. dhv

dhv Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    I have all 3.
    22 LR good.
    22 WMR not so good.
    22 Hornet, not good at all.

Of course, it could be that I'm intolerant of recoil :rolleyes:

4. snaffle

snaffle Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Connecticut
    Is that $795 with the two mags, if so buy it now! I own 3 78s all are very accurate, not quite as good as say an Anschutz 1712 but, a 1712 costs $2200. I have one of John Reed's magazines, very well made functions in all three of my 78s ($95 a few years back). An original mag will cost more of course, if you can get one. Before John, I'd seen them $200+ John's magazine has lowered the desperation. As far as the scratch goes, steam/sand it out and refinish with Art's Gun French Red stock filler/stain it is a perfect match (carried by Brownell's).

5. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I provided John with the proper dimensions of the M78 .22WMR magazine and he made one and gave it to me in return. I had to do just a very minor fitting, but it works well in my M78 .22 WMR, as I'm sure his replacements for the .22LR would also. However, I have misplaced his contact information. If you have it and can post it here I'm sure that several people would benefit from knowing where to go for a P-72/M78 magazine.

6. snaffle

snaffle Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Connecticut
    John Reed
    865- 742- 1848
    Maryville, Tn

Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
  7. gowyo

gowyo Sako Junkie

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Wyoming
    Howdy all,

So I bought the rifle. See pics, I'll eventually refinish the stock.. or not. 20200227_220343.jpg

Attached Files:

8. cl_leg

cl_leg Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA Ontario
    Nice find, I can't see a reason to refinish that stock. It would be hard to make it look better than it is.
    If you decide you don't like it or do not need the extra mags drop me a line. ;)

9. snaffle

snaffle Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Connecticut
    Nice, I agree no need to refinish. The French Red suggestion was just if you needed a little stain for the scratch touch up, it blends very well with the existing finish. Congrats., enjoy your new purchase.