Sako Model 72

Discussion in 'Sako Long/Magnum Actions' started by Bernie’s Dad, Aug 6, 2021.

1. Bernie’s Dad

Bernie’s Dad Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Connecticut
    Just got this cool tin vintage advertisement for the Model 72. Thought I would share.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    In the small print in bold type the ad mentions a Model 73 Lever Action. Is this a case where the actual production didn't meet the prediction in the ad? Would be interesting to see what the Garcia Hunting Annual had in it about the "73".

3. Bernie’s Dad

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Connecticut
    I noticed that. I’ve never heard you experts discuss that rifle. Does it not exist?

4. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    I've heard that some prototypes were made but the model did not go into production. The VL 63 Finnwolfs had issues with durability & their reputation wasn't all that great during those times, so that may have contributed to Sako dropping their "lever" guns altogether. Others here may have more info on this.

5. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    There were an inordinate number of variations in Sakos shipped as "Model 72's". The early ones had skipline checkering. Most, but not all, had plain, uncheckered, dovetail tops. Most had sights, but some did not. Most had black plastic grip caps, but some did not. The only thing which seems consistent is that all M72's I've seen had a two-point checkering pattern on the grip, whereas all other Sakos had a three-point pattern on the grip.

The Model 72 was intended to be a lower-priced competitor to Remingtons and Winchesters. However, the 1972 catalog I have prices the Model 72 at $149 while the standard Sako was priced at $166, only $17 higher. The price differential between the "standard" and the less expensive Model 72 wasn't enough to make much difference to buyers. The same catalog had a Remington 700 ADL at $117, so the Model 72 wasn't really close enough to it to effectively compete. No wonder the M72 was such a short-lived model.

BTW: There was a Model 72 Finnwolf VL63, so labeled in the shipping records. The only difference I've seen in the M72 Finnwolf and the standard Finnwolf is the two-point grip checkering pattern; however, the metal finish may have been less polished but I've never had an opportunity to make a comparison.

6. dustinga

dustinga Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia
    What does $166 equal to today?

7. bigcountry4me

bigcountry4me Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    In the abstract about $1052.00. But related to the rifles in question it would depend on real world factors, as per usual, rarity, condition, box-no box. And if you look at the cost of a modern 85, they start at approximately 2k.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2021
  8. Old Hippie

Old Hippie Formerly known as bloorooster

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US West Virginia
    An interesting factoid for me is that the M 72’s , which are sometimes looked upon as sub level quality, had a very short production time. If one bases rarity on simple production numbers, these would be high on the list. I believe it was less than a years time in all. A Skipline 72 is super duper rare.

Do the factory records mention any numbers for these models?

Hippie

9. Bernie’s Dad

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Connecticut
    So you are saying that my beat up old Model 72 with a stolen Golden Anniversary floor plate and crooked front sight hood is a super rare collector’s item? (Btw the factory records don’t go as high as her serial number)

[​IMG]

10. Old Hippie

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US West Virginia
    Well…It could be the only one like it! How rare is that!

Old hippie

11. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    The shipping records show the Model 72 shipped over a span of about two years or so. The very first ads for them show skipline checkering, but it appears that was dropped very quickly -- probably because it made the "bargain" model look too much like the "Deluxe" model. The serial numbers are mixed in with the standards and Deluxes and are not unique to the Model 72. Oh, one more feature of the Model 72: The stocks usually had an something of an orange tinge to the stain whereas the standards were darker and the Deluxes tended to be more blonde.

There was a guy on this forum at one time (he was eventually invited to go elsewhere due to his offensive posts) who said he specialized in collecting certain configurations of Model 72's. So far as I know he is/was the only individual who ever showed interest in the model as a collectible. Rarity doesn't always make for collectibility.

Perhaps the greater mystery is the "Model 74 Super" which kind of replaced the Model 72, at least in Garcia's advertising. I once owned a NIB Model 74 Super but I couldn't see any difference in it and the contemporaneous Standard models. And how about the "Finnsport"? There is no reference to it in the records but it was widely advertised at the time.

12. Old Hippie

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US West Virginia
    The M 74 Super , to me , is probably the most criticized rifle in Sako history. Something happened prior to its introduction that left the bearing shoulders of the cocking pieces too narrow, thus Sako added the Pin. This pin rides the left side of the receiver tang providing additional leverage to the cocking piece as the bolt handle is rotated. Some of these pins fall out , which leaves the rifle, according to Sako, in an unsafe condition. No recalls were ever issued to my knowledge. I’ve had a couple of them and they were good shooting rifles, but I let them go for my own reasons.
    The Sako Finnsport may be the Loch Ness Monster of bolt action rifles. I’ve only seen ads and a mention in The GunTraders guides. I have never been able to figure out if they were referring to A series guns or later 91 series. Does anyone actually have one ? I’d love to see it!

Hippie