micro groovebarrels & carbines

Discussion in 'Sako Mannlichers and Carbines' started by Wilson, Feb 10, 2015.

1. Wilson

Wilson Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA British Columbia
    I have been doing some more reading and have been trying to find more information about micro groove barrels. How long they were used? if they may be Bofors barrels if they do jot carry " bofors steel" above the stock? If not, who made them? Also, on the note of heavy barrel microgroove barrels, were there a standard diameter or, like I have been discovering about sakoism's are there some variations that don't fully make sense when compared to when the rifle was built? If someone could shed some information it would be very much appreciated thank you.

2. PAScott64

PAScott64 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    I apologize for my ignorance and certainly can't give you a qualified answer on micro-grooved barrels. If this helps you at all, I own a Sako Forester Mannlicher chambered in. 244 cal. It's an L57, S/N 9546 and has Bofors Steel stamped on the barrel. I was told by cousin, who found the rifle for me in a little gun shop in Maine, that it had a micro-grooved barrel. He was an avid Sako collector, and unlike me, quite knowledgeable.

3. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    "Microgroove" was a copyrighted name that Marlin gave to its barrels with very shallow rifling and lots (maybe 16-20 or so?) of lands and grooves. Sako did produce some barrels with 12 or so grooves of more conventional depth, which are often erroneously referred to as "microgroove". To confuse matters further, Marlin also produced its Model 322 in .222 Rem on a Sako action with a Marlin Microgroove barrel. So, it's easy to see why the somewhat similar barrels from the two makers are often confused with one another.

To attempt to differentiate between the actual Marlin barrel and the Sako barrels which had "lots" of lands and grooves, the Sako barrels are typically referred to as "multigroove".

The shallow-grooved Marlin barrels on the Marlin 322 garnered a reputation for quickly wearing out. Whether this is true or if they just suffered more from poor maintenance is not clear. The Sako "multigroove" barrels suffered no such problems and are among the most accurate 60 year-old barrels out there.

4. PAScott64

PAScott64 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    Thanks for the update and explanation. One thing I can tell you is that .244 of mine is extremely accurate. So I concur with your accuracy statement.

5. David Henzler

David Henzler Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US North Carolina
  6. iwanna

iwanna Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Minnesota
    The muzzle on the .338 seems to tell the tale. They don't stay looking like that for long once they're used. Nice rifle. If it was mine I'd put a red Pachmayr vented pad on it and save the money.

7. Shooter75

Shooter75 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia
    David
    I've been using a .338 Win. Mag. as my primary rifle for the past 21 years, so I have a little shooting and hunting experience with it. If you can shoot, you will find it to be an absolute STONE COLD KILLER of everything on the north American contenent. I love mine and you have a really nice rifle there in a fine chambering. I don't think you paid too much at all and you SHOULD BE HAPPY that you got it for what you did. I am happy for you and wish you Happy hunting.