Maybe someone could advise . . .

Discussion in 'General Sako Discussions' started by stonecreek, Jun 1, 2020.

1. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Here's a photo lifted from a listing on one of the internet sales sites.

Lovely-Sako-L579.JPG
    The seller says "I can't tell 100% if it has or has not had any optics mounted on it."

Well, maybe that scar on the dovetail is a crop circle and not a set screw mark.:rolleyes:

Foxhunter223 and RifleNutPPC like this.

2. ricksengines

ricksengines Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    It is a screw mark

rick

3. deersako

deersako Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    Looks suspicious.

4. northernlights

northernlights Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New Hampshire
    I like Stonecreek's crop circle theory. Just think of the added value for a one of a kind Sako!

susanna likes this.
  5. Furdown

Furdown Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US South Dakota
    It’s a red field crop circle

susanna and stonecreek like this.
  6. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    . . . or maybe a Weaver.

7. kevinlg

kevinlg Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Stone would be THE one to know about "them". :) :)

Of course, we could also add Burris and...............Conetrol.....crop circles. :)

8. icebear

icebear Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    Some day, somebody besides me will figure out how to make set screws out of BRASS. It's softer than steel and doesn't mar the checkered bridges.

susanna likes this.
  9. P04R

P04R Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Finland
    State/Region:
    European Union
    Maybe they had only the mounts without optic? :D

10. kevinlg

kevinlg Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Rather than leaving an empty hole......anymore I just file the set screw even, with the base bottom.
    In the old days I'd press a lead shot into the set screw hole......before screw tightening. BUT.......there is always the chance of tilting the rear of the base upwards, with screw pressure. Always check for base "level".....with respect to one another.

11. susanna

susanna Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    small pce brass shim under would help.

12. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    The only thing needed with Redfield/Burris Sako bases is to "lay the wood to them" and forget the set screws (or use them as blunted fillers as kevin suggests). Take a piece of hardwood, place it against the rear of the base, and rap it very aggressively with a rubber mallet multiple times. The tapered dovetail will do the rest. The only way to remove them is to reverse the process with a block of wood and a mallet.

(Note: I would not recommend this same method with the Weaver aluminum bases. In fact, I would not recommend the Weaver bases under any circumstance as when I obtain some I always send them directly to Kevin.)

The very worst thing you can do with Redfield/Burris bases is to attempt to secure them with the set screw somewhere aft of their natural resting place. If done on a heavy recoiling rifle the set screws will plow a scar forward due to inertia as recoil from successive shots moves the gun rearward. This will result not just in "crop circles" but oblong "crop ovals".

13. cl_leg

cl_leg Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA Ontario
    I take a pellet from bird shot and set it under the screw.

14. CHAUCER

CHAUCER Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    Decades ago I started aligning the Redfield "set screws", putting a drop of epoxy on the threads, and filing off the bottom protrusion, and touching up with cold blue. The other thing I always do to position the front base with no overhang on the action opening, is open the dovetail cut so the base fits even with the front of the action. Brownell's 60 degree dovetail standard slot sight base file (#080-648-060WB) is a true parallel 3 square file with only one cutting edge. With the base upside down in your vise, make one identical cut on each side. (If you've never been taught how to properly use a file, ignore these instructions. You'll just ruin the base--and probably the file.) Fit the base finger tight on the dovetail. Continue to file and fit, until the base slides on to the point where it can't finally be tapped into place. Remember to use cold blue on the filed portion and then lightly lubricate the base before final seating.

15. ricksengines

ricksengines Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    Why even bother. Use Leupold dovetail mounts and avoid the problem altogether.

16. CHAUCER

CHAUCER Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    The only Leupold option of which I am aware is their ringmounts--many of which I have used. But what if you want a front extension ring? Or some other ring option? The advantage of the Redfield bases is that you can used a wider variety of rings in order to properly position a scope. Fitting some scopes on the short Sako actions may not work with Sako's own ringmounts or Leupold's ringmounts.

17. stonecreek

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    The Redfield/Burris bases do offer the very widest options in rings to match your mounting needs -- except in the case that you want an extremely low mount for a straight-tubed scope. Rings can be had in all diameters (3/4" through 35mm), all heights, and offsets (extensions) which can be mounted either forward or backward.