Market value of "coltsmen" 300mag. H&H

Discussion in 'Sako Long/Magnum Actions' started by Ken Frandle, Jul 11, 2020.

1. Ken Frandle

Ken Frandle Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Wisconsin
    Hi Im new. My name is ken and this is my first forum for anything. I have been looking for anyone that can help me with a long gun. Its the reason that I have tried so hard to get on this awesome collectors forum. I have a coltsmen 300mag. H&H and would like to know the value of it.. Can anyone give me a general idea of its worth? If so Im thankful for your help.

2. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Some good, clear photos would help. There were several different versions of the "Coltsman", some with FN Mauser actions and some with Sako actions. They also offered both a standard and a Deluxe version. Without a little more information and some photos to judge condition no one's guess at value would have any meaning.

3. Ken Frandle

Ken Frandle Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Wisconsin
    Thank you for getting back to me so soon. The rifle is not with me {Its with family} but I can get some pics and more info on it. People close want me to sell it but I Do not wish to so I am trying to get an idea of what to pay each of them so it can stay in the family. The bolt looks just like the one in my k98 but not sure if that helps... I looks like it was kept in a valt for fifty years after just being taken out the box. Its beautiful. I have had a hard time getting any info on the gun at all well that's until I found you all. Its been great reading all you all have to offer.

4. ricksengines

ricksengines Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
  5. Jeffy1

Jeffy1 Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Montana
    The overpriced 300 HH deluxe coltsman sold right away. Supply and demand, I guess.

6. icebear

icebear Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    I'm not convinced that was overpriced. That's a beautiful, rare, high condition gun in a rare caliber. If I collected Deluxes, I'd have seriously considered it.

7. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    It appears to me that the Sako action dovetails have been milled off to make it a "round top" action. Probably done after it left the factory. Whether that overrides it's rarity & otherwise wonderful condition would be up to the buyer, if he is even aware of the alteration. Looks like a case of "it's worth what a willing buyer & willing seller agree to" & not a price I would use as a benchmark of it's market value. If it had not been altered I would have been very interested. As it is, the price deterred me. I agree with Rick. The OP also stated that his bolt "looked just like his K98 bolt" which tells me his rifle is the earlier Coltsman built on the FN Mauser action & not the same rifle as the one on GI built on the Sako L61R action.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
  8. icebear

icebear Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    I saw that it was a round top action, but I thought some of the Sako-Coltsman rifles were built on round top actions. My memory may be off on this, but I do find it a bit hard to understand why anyone would spend the money to do that kind of machine work, especially on a deluxe grade rifle.

9. Tomball

Tomball Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I have not seen many Sako Coltsman but all had dovetails. There is a L57 standard and L579 deluxe on GB now with dovetails. Both bofors. I looked at the 300H&H when Gassman listed and decided rightly or wrongly the dovetails had been removed. Will keep looking at future guns to see if Coltsman with L series actions have dovetails.

10. ricksengines

ricksengines Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    Over the years I have looked at a lot of Sako L57 receivers and to my knowledge I have never seen a round top L57 receiver. We know that Sako produced L461 receivers in both dovetail and round top versions but L57 receivers were produced much earlier than the L461 receiver so I can only conclude that the Coltsman receiver had been machined to remove the dovetails. Either that or Colt had Sako produce a Roundtop variety specifically for the Coltsman rifle (very unlikely).

Just my two cents worth on this subject.

rick

11. paulsonconstruction

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    All Sako action Coltsman I know of have dovetails. I own three. An early one on a L57 from the late 50's and one on a L461 & one on a L61R from the early 60's.

12. paulsonconstruction

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    The 300 H&H could not have been built on a L57. The action in question is a L61R.

13. paulsonconstruction

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    The top of the action bridges look to me to have a "matte" finish (possibly cold blued?) & don't match the rest of the metal. Not something I would think the factory would do on a Deluxe model, or any model for that matter. I've learned never to say never about all things Sako, but I'd bet a dollar to a doughnut that that rifle was butchered after it left the factory. I never cease to be amazed at what otherwise intelligent people will do to a firearm. That rifle could have truly been a prize catch if it hadn't been "BUBBA'd".

Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
  14. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Nebraska
    Sako made the Colt Deluxe 300 H&H's with a round top receiver.

I use to have one.

15. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Nebraska
    Come to think about it, I have a Sako Deluxe Special in 222 that has the round top.