Sako History Manufacturing date help.

Discussion in 'Forum FAQ' started by Fifeshirepark, Jul 8, 2019.

1. Fifeshirepark

Fifeshirepark Member

Country Flag:
    New Zealand
    State/Region:
    other
    Hi, very new member who like you all love my Sakos. I have scoured as many sites as I can to narrow down manufacturing dates for a .243 A11 serial 354772, anyone able to help? Also just purchased an unbelievably beautiful L461 .222 Vixen which a collector had in mint as new condition and is said to be probably unfired. It's serial number is 93352. The only info I can find is that it may have been made in 1966, but not sure. Have included some photos of it. Any information from more experienced Sako owners would be greatly appreciated. Cheers Fifeshirepark

Attached Files:

ricksengines likes this.

2. ricksengines

ricksengines Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    Please check out our Factory Records Service for info on your L461 and others that the service may be able to provide you with the requisite info.

rick.

3. CVCOBRA1

CVCOBRA1 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Illinois
  4. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Factory records are available for your L461 but not for your AII. Sako didn't make rifles in sequential order with the serial numbers, so dating one from the SN alone is an approximation at best. We have records that show Sakos with consecutive serial numbers being made years apart & Sakos with serial numbers thousands apart being shipped on the same day. Things like changes in bolts, floorplates, release buttons, stock shapes, barrel contours, etc can help in dating a Sako, but without factory records or a hang tag an approximation of it's birthday is the best you can expect. Early 1980's would be my guess.