Manufacturing Change Timeline

Discussion in 'General Sako Discussions' started by Scooch, Oct 14, 2018.

1. Scooch

Scooch Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    Hi all,

I was just wondering what big manufacturing changes have taken place throughout the production life of Sako rifles. Just a couple examples of the changes I'm talking about are going from manual machining to CNC machining and from hand-cut checkering to machine-cut checkering. Approximate dates of the transitions would be nice to know as well.

If folks have opinions on how these changes affected "quality", I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on the matter. Considering Sako has been historically well-regarded for their quality though, I'd imagine most of these changes were motivated by wanting to decrease (or rather not increase) the cost of manufacturing, but I could be off the mark here..

-Scott

2. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    There is a serial number/model chart on the SAKO Inc. website that denotes the changes in manufacturing for the "Old Model" Sakos. The more subtle changes in stock shapes, checkering, buttpads, barrel contours, bottom metal, etc. were probably not specifically recorded & occurred over a "transition" period. The chart is labeled Numbering and Changes of Sako/Tikka rifles. The chart is helpful in following a rough chronology of the L & A series Sakos & the disclaimer @ the bottom of each page "Please note that these old manufacturing dates are only indicative" should be heeded. Sako didn't build in sequential order, so anomalies are likely!

Unclekax likes this.
  3. Scooch

Scooch Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    Excellent to know, thanks. I suppose that just about closes this post!

4. arthur36

arthur36 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New Hampshire
    Perhaps someone could post a link to this chart? I've been searching the Sako site this morning and have come up empty.

5. Sean Hodges

Sean Hodges Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
  6. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Take the info in the "chart" with a grain of salt & a boatload of skepticism. There are many unknowns when it comes to Sako serial numbers & many known cases where the "chart" just doesn't stack up to reality with regard to production dates for an individual rifle. It does, however, give a good reference for approximately when Sako instituted design, manufacturing, & stamping changes.

Sean Hodges likes this.
  7. arthur36

arthur36 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New Hampshire
    I'm just happy to have some indication of when the various models appeared and then faded away.
    Thank you Sean Hodges.

Maybe some one could turn the link into a Sticky?

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020 at 11:42 AM
  8. prk154

prk154 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    Thanks for the info!