• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Mannlicher Vixen Rare Bird ?

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Tracy Redpath

I was handling a L461 Vixen w/ Mannlicher stock today at a LGS. Is that a pretty rare rifle ? The stock had only 2 little wood compressions on it, Bluing perfect for $2000. It didnt come home with me. Said gun has been in there case for at least a year so they may take a little less.

That's pricey. I answered your other posting before seeing the price. There was a similar gun on Gunbroker a couple weeks ago, in excellent shape with nice looking wood. It closed with no bids against an opening price of $1650 (which was reduced at the last minute from 1800. I paid about 1500 a year or so ago for the same gun in .222 (non-Magnum) for around 1500, and my gun has absolutely spectacular wood. I'm looking for a .222 Mag Vixen Mannlicher myself, but I would think 1500 would be a top price unless it was unfired in the original box. Here's a shot of my .222 carbine.

Carbine + Zeiss.JPG

One question - is that gun a carbine or a full-length rifle with a 23" barrel? I'm assuming it's a carbine; a long rifle might be worth a premium for rarity in that caliber.

Icebear I don't know what the GB ad said about the 222 mag mannlicher for condition, but if that rifle was in excellent condtion I think that $1650 was a good buy. There's a big difference in a 222 mannlicher, to a 222 magnum mannlicher as far as value goes.

I sure would of brought it.

Icebear I don't know what the GB ad said about the 222 mag mannlicher for condition, but if that rifle was in excellent condtion I think that $1650 was a good buy. There's a big difference in a 222 mannlicher, to a 222 magnum mannlicher as far as value goes.

I sure would of brought it.
When I bought my .222 Mannlicher a year or two ago, the same seller had a .222 Magnum Mannlicher for sale at the same time. It was also in excellent shape but the wood was typical Sako wood, not highly figured like the .222. It went for a couple of hundred less than the 1500 or so I paid for the .222. I think the only reason the bidding got as high as it did on mine was the wood. I was prepared to pay for the wood and there was another serious bidder who bumped a few times. I thought about bidding on the magnum as well, but I'd been spending quite a bit on guns around that time and I let it go. I do have an L469 Mannlicher carbine; I wonder what that is worth these days as it is far more rare than an L461.

I'm going to go back and look at it again. If he'll work with me on price i am going to give her a new home. If you have been watching GB you'll see the astronomical prices at least one guy thats Bogarting all the cool rarer Vixens is asking.

If you have been watching GB you'll see the astronomical prices
Too many people have a concept of the actual market which is distorted by referencing internet "asking" prices. When a gun cycles for weeks at a time on Gunbroker without attracting a single bid then it is by definition priced above market -- and there's no way to tell how far above market. Only when a gun is traded between an actual buyer and seller is some frame of reference to the actual market established. In other words, pay no attention to Gunbroker listings. Instead, go to "sold auctions" to look up similar items. Take even these prices with a grain of salt since direct comparables may be scarce and the internet market may not match the local market in a given locale.

I will agree that the .222 Magnum is currently bringing a premium over the .222 in Vixen rifles of all configurations. This is in part due to them being fewer in number and perhaps an expanded universe of potential buyers due to the recent availability of brass and ammunition from Nosler.

What he said. Asking prices are meaningless until something changes hands. There are a lot of "optimists" on Gunbroker who list items at absurd prices in the hope that some deep-pockets guy will come along who just has to have it. There is one seller in particular who has a dozen or so desirable Sakos listed at 50-80% above market, and the same guns have been on GB for months.

Back