RK62 Magnum Action L61R

Discussion in 'Sako Long/Magnum Actions' started by Jorge Glez, Jul 10, 2020.

1. Jorge Glez

Jorge Glez Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I have a L61R Magnum action in perfect condition, it looks new, I want to do 300 Win Mag, my question is: can I put a model 85 stainless barrel on it? Thank's

2. icebear

icebear Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    Can't help you with the barrel threading, but I have a suggestion - consider a .300 H&H chambering. The Sako action is long enough, and for some reason most shooters find that the .300 H&H produces velocities comparable to the .300 WM with less felt recoil. Just a thought.

deergoose and Wayne like this.
  3. Wayne

Wayne Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arkansas
    Welcome Jorge, With two messed up shoulders, less felt recoil, sounds real good to me. Wayne

4. P04R

P04R Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Finland
    State/Region:
    European Union
    Though both have the same pitch of 16 tpi, the L61R has larger thread diameter. 85 barrel will make for a very VERY loose fit in a L61R receiver. To the point it is clear they are not the same thread and I would be very concerned if it will hold.

5. icebear

icebear Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    Just noticed RK62 in the title line for this thread. What's the meaning/relevance in this context? As far as I know, RK62 is the original Finnish military assault rifle, a much-improved Kalashnikov. Is there another meaning that is relevant to Sako?