Magazine issues

Discussion in 'Forum FAQ' started by SubParMarksman, Oct 18, 2020.

1. SubParMarksman

SubParMarksman Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA British Columbia
    I have a Sako A7 in 270 WSM. The original magazine would not hold shells, the new one I purchased from Sako cured that problem, but now the magazine is stuck in the rifle. Also, multiple brands of ammunition used, and all would not cycle in the chamber. Eventually went to gunsmith to have it measured. As far as I know, only 1 brand makes ammunition that will actually go in the chamber, that is Hornady. So now I have a hodgepodge of part boxes of ammunition I will never use. At 70+$ a box, that is a costly screw up by Sako on my expense. Never in 35 years have I experienced such poor quality. The gun kicked like a mule so I had to get a muzzle break and recoil pad installed. Extremely disappointed in Sako.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020

2. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    The A7 was an attempt, probably Beretta's idea, to economically compete with the less expensive competition & possibly capture some of that market by using the "Sako" name. As a result the quality suffered & it flopped. If you would have inquired here before you bought it you could have been forewarned. The A7 has been plagued with magazine problems, but usually if you avoid loading through the injection port with the mag in the gun you won't expand the top of the mag & cause all the rounds to come out all at once. Are you the only owner? Why your magazine is "stuck" I don't know, but I would think any competent gunsmith can fix that fairly easily. All ammo is built to the same SAAMI specifications, so the one type ammo that works is probably on the small side of those specs. The next box of the same ammo may not work. Your gun could have a bad chamber, but I find it hard to believe it left the factory without being fired & function tested. This club doesn't have much interest in Sakos made after about 1990. In fact most interest is in guns over 50 years old. Not much interest here in the Sakos built after the Beretta take over in 2000, so complaining about poor quality & lack of customer support is kind of falling on deaf ears. I recommend you either have your rifle fixed (chamber or bolt problem??) or dump it & get a quality Sako from at least 30 years ago or more. As the 270 WSM (another flop) is a discontinued chambering among rifle makers the ammo will only get harder to find & more expensive anyway. Not sure what I can do to eliminate your recoil sensitivity, but I will recommend you wear double hearing protection after installing that God awful muzzle brake. Other than complaining, do you have a specific question we could help you with?

3. Sean Hodges

Sean Hodges Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    That’s unfortunate for sure. I also have a Sako A-7 in .270 WSM. I bought mine used - really, really cheap, then made my own modifications, including a brake etc.. Recoil wasn’t an issue, just wanted to tame it a little, which was successful. I knew of the potential problems regarding this model, but I was willing to absorb the risk. I didn’t bother to contact Beretta because the rifle was purchased second or perhaps third hand.

I hade to tweak both my polymer magazines, including the steel lips to gain satisfaction regarding feeding and magazine removal. The magazines are a complete afterthought.

Mine also has a tight chamber, especially with nickel style brass, but the bolt closes and extraction is fine. I simply did away with trying to use Federal Premium brass and am using Nosler instead.

The rifle is now very dependable and highly accurate. I don’t have to worry about a ding or scratching it. Typically this rifle is packed and has been abused in all sorts of conditions. I know this is no consolation for you, but hopefully you can get it running properly without too much hassle. I hope it work out.

Attached Files: