Magazine box for AV action (.375 H&H)

Discussion in 'Sako Long/Magnum Actions' started by mountaindog, May 10, 2011.

1. mountaindog

mountaindog Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Montana
    First off, I'd like to say hello to everyone.

I am new to the forum and happy to be a part of the discussion. I recently purchased a Sako, L61R, Mannlicher, carbine chambered for .375 H&H. Upon inspection I found that the magazine box was, well....deformed. Upon disassembly I found that the front of the box looked like an elf had taken a penning hammer to the inside. I assume this is the result of recoil pushing the rounds in the magazine forward. Also, the metal itself seems twisted as though someone didn't know how to reassemble the gun and just used brute force. The side of the magazine box is stamped "AIII". I had always thought that the AV was the beefed up magnum version of the AIII. Does anyone know if AIII magazine boxes were used on the AV actions? Also, where a guy might look for a replacement. I got a good deal on the rifle, so I' m not too heartbroken. I just want to restore the rifle to original condition and then of course shoot it.

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    The magazine boxes for L61R, A-III, and A-V were all identical (both for "standard" and "magnum" calibers). The fact that your box is stamped "A-III" doesn't necessarily mean anything -- Sako used whatever parts were sitting in the bin when it assembled a gun and some magazine boxes stamped "A-III" just happend to be what the assembler reached in and got. By the way, the A-III and A-V were identical other than the slightly longer tang of the A-V. No one seems to know why the A-V's tang was made longer.

Occasionally, someone will convert a Sako to a single shot as a bench/varmint gun and set the magazine box aside. You should be able to find one by posting this message.

And welcome to the forum! Please take a moment to put your location on your profile so that we'll all know your approximate wherabouts.

3. mountaindog

mountaindog Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Montana
    Stonecreek,

Thanks for the help. The gun is currently at my gunsmiths shop. He is one of the best gunsmiths I've ever seen and he suggested that he can probably "blacksmith" the box back to near original specifications. In the interest of expedience, I' m thinking of having him do this and then hunting for a replacement box. I am dying to shoot this rifle! Any thoughts or experiences that would put this in the "bad idea" category?

I'm not sure why my location didn't transfer from my profile to my post, but I'm in the mountains of central Montana.

Thanks much for the welcome and the advice.

4. +Templar+

+Templar+ Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Missouri
    Bringing this back from the dead. I am badly needing a mag box for my AV in 375 H&H. It is completely knackered. Does anyone have a lead on where to get one?