• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Maddco trigger for L-series Sakos

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Branxhunter

Just fitted up a new Maddco trigger (made here in Australia) for my L461 .20-222. These 3 lever style triggers will fit all L-series Sakos and Mauser actions, and as I understand it were well regarded in the early days of the Australian benchrest scene. They are externally adjustable with a pull weight range of 6oz - 3.5lbs.

First three shots after fitting the new trigger:

Got to give a shout out on the quality of the pillar bedding job by Jerome Ziersch (Ziersch Custom Rifles, Auburn South Aust) as well - since the rifle was last zeroed the action had been out of the stock 3 times before this photo was taken - no need to re-zero this baby!

Marcus

Last edited:
Got to be happy with that Marcus,crackin looking gun that shoots bug holes ...well done great build....local redcoats are in big trouble
Cheers Mark

Beautiful rifle! She's a real Lightswitch judging by that grouping! What weight did you set your trigger to?

Just out of curiosity, is 6oz a common trigger pull range? I know people set their triggers to a pound or a little more, but have never heard of such a light trigger. Makes me wonder, though. I have a couple of Steyr Mannlicher Shoenauers (.243 & .22-250) with double set triggers. When using the set trigger on either one, the gun goes "BOOM" when you merely look at the trigger! Crazy light pull! Need to get a gauge to see what the weight is.

In benchrest or F-open rifles a 6oz trigger is fairly common, but not common at all on a hunting rifle for good reason. Also very very uncommon to have trigger pulls this light on an older Sako as the plunging sear design of the factory trigger does not lend itself to safely producing such pull weights. I definitely have set the pull weight on this trigger up a bit higher - 6oz might be ok for punching paper but too light for a spotlighting/field rifle.

Marcus

In benchrest or F-open rifles a 6oz trigger is fairly common, but not common at all on a hunting rifle for good reason. Also very very uncommon to have trigger pulls this light on an older Sako as the plunging sear design of the factory trigger does not lend itself to safely producing such pull weights. I definitely have set the pull weight on this trigger up a bit higher - 6oz might be ok for punching paper but too light for a spotlighting/field rifle.

Marcus

Interesting! Just never heard of such a light pull. Sound like it could be fun!

I have a couple of Steyr Mannlicher Shoenauers (.243 & .22-250) with double set triggers. When using the set trigger on either one, the gun goes "BOOM" when you merely look at the trigger!
Good double set triggers are the cat's whiskers! I just wish there was a good one available for Sakos, but since the USA is the big market for rifles and Americans are somehow largely ignorant and seemingly fearful of double set triggers I don't look for such a product anytime soon.

I took my 12 year-old grandson prairie dog hunting for the first time this summer. I had him shooting a custom .221 Fireball with an excellent Sako trigger set about 2.5 pounds. When ammunition ran low for the Fireball I tried him on a Krico .222 Magnum with its set triggers. I carefully explained how to use the set trigger to him, then lined him up on a dog about 250 yards away. At the shot the dog exploded and the grandson grinned from ear-to-ear -- not at the successful shot, but at the joy of touching off a shot with almost nothing other than brain waves. He insisted on shooting the Krico the rest of the day and proclaimed his love of set triggers.

Good double set triggers are the cat's whiskers! I just wish there was a good one available for Sakos, but since the USA is the big market for rifles and Americans are somehow largely ignorant and seemingly fearful of double set triggers I don't look for such a product anytime soon.

I took my 12 year-old grandson prairie dog hunting for the first time this summer. I had him shooting a custom .221 Fireball with an excellent Sako trigger set about 2.5 pounds. When ammunition ran low for the Fireball I tried him on a Krico .222 Magnum with its set triggers. I carefully explained how to use the set trigger to him, then lined him up on a dog about 250 yards away. At the shot the dog exploded and the grandson grinned from ear-to-ear -- not at the successful shot, but at the joy of touching off a shot with almost nothing other than brain waves. He insisted on shooting the Krico the rest of the day and proclaimed his love of set triggers.

Man, you ain't kiddin'!! Those triggers are insanely light. Last time I was at the range I had to curse myself for accidentally sending the mail downrange prematurely! I was on the rifle, on the target, moved my finger into the guard, set the trigger, and when I moved my gorilla digit to get ready to fire, I accidentally touched one off. After laughing and shaking my head, I had to "...carefully explain how to use the set trigger to myself!" I'd never done that before with either one, so I forced myself to give myself a "hall pass" on that one!

I have a 1951 vintage Winchester Model 70 .270 that's had a great deal of work done to it. It nearly compares to the Steyrs, but is just a wee bit more stubborn. The Sakos are also outstanding in the pull department and are very crisp, particularly the Deluxes and the Riihimaki (they have had some smith work as well). The Finnbear and the Vixen leave nothing to be desired, as well, but are slightly heavier than the rest (although very crisp with zero takeup/overtravel, as well).

Yeah, been there myself with the set trigger on a friends .22h Brno Fox about 25 years ago - I got the tin can, but a little earlier than intended....

Marcus

Target triggers for L and A series Sako actions, are hard to come by.

I put a Canjar single-set trigger on a factory L461 single-shot action, that I used to build a 17-222 PD rifle.

The picture below is of a factory Sako Target Trigger, that I plan to use on a factory AI single-shot action rifle build. I've been able to adjust it down to 6 ounces.......plus it has a safety.
2en8cpw.jpg

The Canjar (may it Rest in Peace:() and the Sako factory target trigger are great for bench shooting, but the advantage of the double set trigger is that it is equally adaptable to hunting.

Unfortunately, none of the above are readily available.

I have been waiting for you to share our good fortune Branxhunter
I was lucky enough to get a Madco trigger as well and have fitted it to a Sako L579 single shot action chambered in 20 Br.
Compared to the Canjar I have fitted to my A1 in 20 PPC and the Timney sportsmen the Madco is streets ahead there is just no comparison.The word superb comes to mind
I have used a Sako target trigger on a mates A1 6PPC that was very nice but.........

Stone.....

Remember that the Canjar Single-Set trigger acts as a "normal" weight hunting trigger pull......until you push the trigger shoe forward, to "set" the light pull function.

Too bad they're not made anymore......but they do pop-up once in awhile.

Here's a pic of the 17-222, showing the Sako Target trigger that I had originally installed on the action. I've since replaced it with a Canjar Single-Set.
24b7sep.jpg

Just fitted up a new Maddco trigger (made here in Australia) for my L461 .20-222. These 3 lever style triggers will fit all L-series Sakos and Mauser actions, and as I understand it were well regarded in the early days of the Australian benchrest scene. They are externally adjustable with a pull weight range of 6oz - 3.5lbs.

Got to give a shout out on the quality of the pillar bedding job by Jerome Ziersch (Ziersch Custom Rifles, Auburn South Aust) as well - since the rifle was last zeroed the action had been out of the stock 3 times before this photo was taken - no need to re-zero this baby!

Marcus
Marcus:

Do you know if Maddco are still making these triggers, and if so, where they can be obtained?

Just asking here.. but are Sako AI and AII triggers identical?

And, AII triggers fits and function in Mauser M98 actions?
Does that also mean a Mauser M98 trigger, will fit and function in a Sako AI and AII?

Looking at a Bit´n Andy or ERA trigger for M98.. and installing in a AI/AII

Just asking here.. but are Sako AI and AII triggers identical?

And, AII triggers fits and function in Mauser M98 actions?
Does that also mean a Mauser M98 trigger, will fit and function in a Sako AI and AII?

Looking at a Bit´n Andy or ERA trigger for M98.. and installing in a AI/AII

The Sako #4 trigger will work in all the L & A series Sako action regardless of action length. The very late A series had the "Tikka" trigger which required a little inletting change to the stock. The original Mauser 98 had the wing safety on the rear of the bolt that blocks the striker. Your Sako has the #4 trigger with integral safety that blocks the trigger. So, if you put a 98 trigger on a Sako you will not have a safety. The later Sako High powers built on the FN action had the #4 trigger with the wing safety on the bolt removed. You can put a #4 on a 98 that also has the wing safety. You will just have two safeties.

Not sure if I follow.. :)

I am looking at the Bix`N Andy trigger for a M98. It has a safety.

If I install that trigger on either my Sako AI or AII, it should work?

Last edited:
Target triggers for L and A series Sako actions, are hard to come by.

I put a Canjar single-set trigger on a factory L461 single-shot action, that I used to build a 17-222 PD rifle.

The picture below is of a factory Sako Target Trigger, that I plan to use on a factory AI single-shot action rifle build. I've been able to adjust it down to 6 ounces.......plus it has a safety.
2en8cpw.jpg
I have Sako target triggers on a number of rifles, and I've set them all at 8 0z. A very nice trigger.

But, if you really want to have fun, try a Remington 40 XB with the Remington Custom Shop 2 oz. trigger. My 40XB KS .223, with a 26 inch hb, shoots 5-shot groups consistently in the 3s and 4s with a variety of loads. When my old eyes are working, I get groups in the 2s. There is no safety for that trigger, but this is not a walking-about rifle. In the field or at the bench, you don't load a round until you're ready to shoot. I had some doubts about a 2 oz trigger, but it is super. You'd be amazed at how quickly you get used to that weight.

By the way, if you're looking for a good trigger for something other than a Sako, you should look at the Timney Calvin Elite trigger. It easy adjusts down to 6 oz, and I put that trigger on on 5 different 221 Fireballs. I've set them all for 12 oz. (When I wrote this I had not checked to see if Timney was making that trigger for Sakos.)

Back