m995 two ?s 1)won't group, 2)any experience with bedding this?

Discussion in 'Sako TRGs' started by thethirdpig, Jul 3, 2012.

1. thethirdpig

thethirdpig Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US North Carolina
    I am a new member and glad I found this forum. Last year I purchased a m995 in 30-378. A friend has one that shots like a dream. When I found one like it I bought it. However, I can't get it to group. I've tested only 180gr bullets; Swift, Speer, and Sierra. Each has been loaded with H1000 and Retumbo. Loads have been three shot groups from min charge to max. charge. None of the tested loads that showed any promise would group after further testing. The best group is 3 1/2" at 100 yds. with three shots and closer to 6" with five shots. The problem is not a dirty bore or fouling as I have cleaned this rifle till my patches are coming out clean. I've checked and rechecked my scope mounts. I even sent the Bsh Elite 4200 back to Bushnell to have the scope checked for loose stadia wires (if that is correct term) or crosshairs.
    It may be as simple as "this gun does not like 180gr bullets. So, I will get another box of something in a different weight. But I would like to hear some opinions of others that are familiar with this rifle. I also, want to bed this rifle but I am not sure how given the reverse recoil lug and the stock's material. Any suggestions?

2. bloorooster

bloorooster Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US West Virginia
    Mr.Pig...I have one in the same caliber, and like your friends, it shoots very well. I have only used Weatherby factory ammo, but the results are outstanding with both 180g and 200g Nosler BT's. What type of mounts are you using? I'm using Leupolds..My TRG-S also has a muzzle brake and the recoil is light, I've never shot it without the brake, but wonder how much the groups may change due to heavier recoil...I have been preparing to handload for this rifle soon, I chose to use H50BMG and H1000 and play with pills from 150g to 200g...the 150's should be sizzling upward of 4000 fps! As far as bedding goes, I've never owned a Sako yet that I felt needed it.~Bloo

3. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    This is pretty elementary, but have you checked the tightness of the action screws? The TRGs has three of them, but the middle screw shouldn't be torqued exessively tight. As always, it is the front screw which should be about as tight as you can reliably get it with a normal, good-fitting slotted screwdriver. The rear screw should be snug (not squeaky tight), and the middle screw should only be firm.

I own several of these TRGs and have found all of them to be remarkably accurate without much work-up.

The .30-378 is a cartridge which presents its challenges, but since others have had good luck with it in the TRGs that wouldn't seem to be your problem. It would be easy for a careless (and well-heeled) shooter to put too many of the big rounds through the barrel at one time, causing damage from overheating. You might make a close examination of the throat, grooves, and condition of the crown.

As with any action, you could hog out the inletting and rebed it with an epoxy compound. However, I would be hesitant to do this until all other possibilities have been exhausted.

By the way, no knock against your Asian-made scope, but it might not be a bad idea to try another scope just as a double-check.

4. thethirdpig

thethirdpig Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US North Carolina
    hey Mr rooster and Mr creek, my mounts are Sako's. I have tried a different scope. I took one of my Leupolds off another rifle and tried it and the results were the same. The action screws are all tight. I intend to have it bore scoped as soon as I find a local smith that has a scope. I know a 30-378 can get worn. When I bought it I was taking that chance. But my line of thought was that most people can't afford to shoot it that much nor are the willing to deal with the recoil. Thanks for the suggestions and please keep them coming. sincerely The third pig

5. bloorooster

bloorooster Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US West Virginia
    3rdpig...One thing I notice about load data for this tiny piece of field artillery is that the best groups come from the lesser charges...If one works toward the maximum speeds, accuracy could be compromised. I would think, unless you bought a rifle that was used for competition or just abused period, the barrel should have plenty of life left...Did you purchase it from the original owner? If not, there could be a remote possibility that the gun was not shot enough, meaning it hasn't been broken in or "seasoned". It seems to me I read somewhere that competition shooters would change a barrel after 3000 rds....to me, for this caliber, used by the average Hunter/shooter, a round count half that high is doubtful. As Stone points out, heat from long strings of fire without proper cooling time will kill accuracy...But the shooter should have a concussion after all that recoil and muzzle blast, plus, like you pointed out, at a bucktwenty or more a box for factory loads...its not your everyday plinker!

Are there any shadows in the bore, dark rings towards the muzzle as you peer into the chamber toward a light source? This is a grab into the dark, but sometimes bad things happen with secondhand rifles the first time around. High mountain hunting where freezing temps and snow are the norm, a barrel can become plugged with ice, and when fired, can cause bulges in the bore from pressure...I had a 25-06 with this symptom, I put dozens of scopes ,rings and hundreds of dollars of ammo thru it....it would not group.~Bloo

Welcome to the club! I'll bet with a little load variation, possibly a range break in session (like it was brand new), your TRG-S will be showing better results~Bloo

Last edited: Jul 4, 2012
  6. thethirdpig

thethirdpig Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US North Carolina
    Had a gunsmith pillar bed it. I shoot 165gr. Nosler AB. 1" group at 100 yards 1&1/2 at 300. At 300 yards I only have a 1" drop