• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

M78/P72 Mag

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

iwanna

I have a chance to buy a spare mag for my M78. Does the same mag also fit a P72? Also, what is the "best" price for such a mag?

Attachments

• PC150003.jpg
    PC150003.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 15
  • PC150004.jpg
    PC150004.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 14
WOW!!! nice wood. To answer your question. Yes they both take the same clip. I have both the 72 & 78. Great rifles and shooters. Is the pictures your 78 or 72?

Mine is the M78. Do you think 140.00 for a mag is too high? Should I wait for a better deal? I do have a magazine in it after all.

So that was your first post? Complimenting a member on the nice wood is a great way to get started around here!!!

Last edited:
140 bucks- I guess it depends on how bad you want one and how rich you are. Since you already have one I would say wait for maybe better price. I hardly ever use the clip as I shoot for groups and always single load. Loading from clip sometimes shaves a bit of lead. Check ebay now and then. I see right now there is one for Sako 94 22 cal. Good luck...

Yeah, maybe I'll hold off or at least try to talk the guy down into "good deal" territory. Any idea of what a "good deal" would look like to you?

By the way, Win-52, do you collect Model 52's?

What would I pay for a 78 magazine? First I am not a collector, I am a shooter. Shot competition all my life. I hate people that take advantage of someone because they need what they have. 140 dollars for a 20 dollar magazine is not right. I have a Winchester 52B sporter, Winchester 1885 single shot (my favorite), couple of Kimber 84’s., Anshutz 1422D, Sako P52, Sako 78 all 22’s. Along with a couple of old Sako varmint 222 & 222 Mag. + more. This is a Sako forum and I don’t want to get out of bounds here. Good luck on your hunt for the magazine. If I see or hear of any I will PM you .

I broke down and bought a replacement mag for a beautiful little Browning A-bolt .22 I owned some years ago. I guess I was worried that the supply was drying up, and the one I had sometimes mis-fed. Anyways, I ended up selling the package to a very sharp-eyed dealer for a loss. Moral? Don't buy it if you don't need it? Buying parts can be such a pain. Good streaks. Bad streaks.

Thanks for keeping me in mind for the spare mag. What I'm really looking for is a pistol grip cap and screw for my recently acquired Bofors Finnbear. I will probably end up substituting something.

What would I pay for a 78 magazine? First I am not a collector, I am a shooter. Shot competition all my life. I hate people that take advantage of someone because they need what they have. 140 dollars for a 20 dollar magazine is not right. I have a Winchester 52B sporter, Winchester 1885 single shot (my favorite), couple of Kimber 84’s., Anshutz 1422D, Sako P52, Sako 78 all 22’s. Along with a couple of old Sako varmint 222 & 222 Mag. + more. This is a Sako forum and I don’t want to get out of bounds here. Good luck on your hunt for the magazine. If I see or hear of any I will PM you .

If you find any M78 magazines for $20 please let me know, I'll buy them ALL!!! The supply & demand of the market place determines the value of anything. My experience is that M78 mags, at least in Hornet, could easily bring $100 or more. It's all what a willing buyer & a willing seller can agree to. With the limited number of M78 mags out there & no one to my knowledge making any for the aftermarket, if you even find one available you are fortunate. The seller probably knows the market & has priced it accordingly. He may not really want to sell it & may have priced it at a premium to make it worth his while. If you don't want to "pay", you don't get to "play"! Looking for "bargains" for scarce items is usually fruitless.

Paulson is on target, that mag was a 100.00 item 10 years ago, doesn't mean you won't walk into Bumwad Nebraska and buy a basket of them for 10.00ea., just don't hold your breath. I remember the agony I went through pulling out my wallet an paying 100.00 for a new Rem37 Rangemaster 5 shot mag a couple years back, today that's a steal. At the prices they are going for it will be more of an issue if you can find one, not what it costs. So 150.00 can be a lot of money to someone, to another guy with a 78 and no mag, that's a steal.

140.00 after a three-year search. I understand that they can sell for far more than that. When I first bought the M78, the seller was relaying a price he saw on E-Bay. I think he said it was 300.00.

I don't have to have one right now, but thanks everyone for filling in the price/availability blanks for me on this subject.

300 dollars for a magazine, I would have to say that is crazy. I have been selling my late brother in laws gun collection and one of them is a Sako 78 in 98% or better and is a tack driver. Been trying to sell it for 350 all winter and no bites. Maybe I had better buy it myself just for parts (300 dollar magazine).

300 dollars for a magazine, I would have to say that is crazy. I have been selling my late brother in laws gun collection and one of them is a Sako 78 in 98% or better and is a tack driver. Been trying to sell it for 350 all winter and no bites. Maybe I had better buy it myself just for parts (300 dollar magazine).
I see you only have 4 posts, so being new to the forum you have to think about value from a standpoint of scarcity & what the real (not crazy) market place says. L46 magazines in 222 Rem sell for around $100 (original) & around $50 to $75 for an aftermarket one. They are not real scarce & fairly easy to find. L469 magazines for the 222 Rem Mag are very scarce & sell for $250 & up & there are no aftermarket mags available. L46 mags in 22 Hornet, 218 Bee, 7x33 Sako are like finding Big Foot & the sky is the limit. It's not unusual for Finnwolf mags to go for $300. Just because one magazine has an asking price, that someone heard thru the grapevine, of $300 does not mean that is the market price. Some buyers will pay more than others because if you have a rifle that is unusable without the magazine it is devalued more than the cost of the mag. So it's like a break even deal if you end up with a usable & thus more valuable rifle. If the M78 is for sale for $350, PM me, cause if you sell the mag the rifle won't be worth much. They kinda need to be kept together, which I would be more than happy to do.

If you can't sell a 78 for 350.00 you might want to add the stock, bolt, mag and barrel, just kidding but that kind of post will bring everyone out of the woodwork. Your PM's will explode any minute. An average 78 will bring 5-600 "without" that mag and I know for a fact you couldn't have advertised it anywhere online.

Heck, I sold a 78 bolt for 175.00 and a original set of early sights w/front hood for 145.00

Last edited:
Thanks cmjr. I had no idea. I use to belong to the sako forum many years ago (probably 15 or so) and got away from it. Don't remember what name I went by. I belong to a local gun club with over 900 members and I had 14 guns from my late brother in laws estate and sold 11 of them but no one was interested in the sako M78 for 350. Maybe good thing I didn't sell it. Thanks again

Thanks cmjr. I had no idea. I use to belong to the sako forum many years ago (probably 15 or so) and got away from it. Don't remember what name I went by. I belong to a local gun club with over 900 members and I had 14 guns from my late brother in laws estate and sold 11 of them but no one was interested in the sako M78 for 350. Maybe good thing I didn't sell it. Thanks again
Unbelievable that 900 people that were members of a gun club had a chance of a lifetime & didn't even know what they were looking at. Must be a Rugchesterton crowd. Put that thing in the classifieds here & I guarantee you will get market value. Without inspecting your rifle I can only guess at it's value, but as cmjr said it's probably something north of $600.

Not sure what a Rugchesterton crowd is but Tusco Rifle club was voted by NRA in 2008 outstanding club of the year. Over 350 acres and eight ranges also held international matches twice. Check it out www.tuscorifle.org . Guess they just don't know what a good Sako rifle is. Thanks for the reply.

Win-52, if your 78 is really nice and you still want to sell it I would just take some nice detailed pics like the ones iwanna did. Something that really shows the condition and slap 900.00 on it or offers and wait. Rifles of the quality as iwanna's will more than likely crowd the 1000.00 mark than the 500.00 level. I've used the classified's here and 6mmBR.com, never sold a rifle here, guys on the other site snap them up quick. Lots of Sako owners on that site.

I have a friend who just bought a really nice looking M-78 .22LR off one of the auction/classified sites for in the seven hundred range. I don't think one missing the magazine will bring that, naturally, but it should be worth more than $350.

Back