M78 22LR authenticity?

Discussion in 'Sako Rimfires and Small Action Rifles' started by 49er, Jul 10, 2018.

1. 49er

49er Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Queensland
    I own a lovely M78 22LR which has a nicely chequered stock, serial 716xxx.
    I have been offered another but I have a little doubt about its originality. The barrel has been threaded, and fitted with a knurled thread protector.
    Did Sako produce the M78 in this configuration or is it a post manufacture modification for the fitting of a sound moderator? If so, was the barrel length the same as others?
    Thanks to you all who can advise.

49er

2. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Welcome to the forum, 49er.

The M78's threaded barrel is likely an aftermarket modification. I've "never" seen a factory threaded barrel on an M78, but due to Sako's tendency to build a few oddballs now and the, we "never say 'never' with Sako".

3. 49er

49er Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Queensland
    Thanks for that info'. I do like the M78 and thought another would be nice.
    The doubt about the originality might be a small lever to negotiate the price, unless of course the vendor has proof of authenticity.

By way of introduction, I'm not a serious collector of Sako rifles but I also have an L461 and AI both in 222Rem and I've just taken delivery of a TRG42 300WM with Nightforce 5.5-22 x50. Hope to be doing some sight zeroing this coming weekend.
    So, only four so far, but might soon be five.