lucky to find this one

Discussion in 'Show us your Sako' started by Stephen Cea, Feb 26, 2020.

1. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    douglastwo: From the appearance of that .222 in the auction you might think that the guy who commissioned the gun I now own saw it and simply said to a custom gunmaker "make me one like this". Fortunately, I bought it for much less than the original owner probably paid, and a whole lot less than the asking price for the one in your illustration.

2. icebear

icebear Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    I'd say English or maybe Circassian - but I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination.

3. South Pender

South Pender Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA British Columbia
    That's hard to say (at least for me). The figure in the butt is somewhat unusual and doesn't strongly suggest one or the other walnut species to me. The appearance of the forend looks to me like nice American walnut with lots of fiddleback figure, so I think I'd guess American Black walnut. One thing for sure: the stockmaker got the lines right (or at least in accordance with my preferences), particularly in the graceful treatment of the wrist. I like the nice, full checkering patterns and the beaded pancake cheekpiece.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2020
  4. mercs430

mercs430 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New Jersey
    Stonecreek, I was a little uncertain as to the species of wood at first, as it is showing different
    characteristics. I sent a couple of pics to a good friend of mine, who is extremely knowledgeable
    in this area, his thoughts are Bastogne, with the amount of fiddleback and other figure.
    I will send pics to his email, so that he can view this on his monitor, and let you know what his final
    thoughts are. Also, have you removed the stock, to see if there are any markings to indicate who
    did the stock? Sometimes they mark the under side of the butt plate.

Gerry

5. South Pender

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA British Columbia
    That's interesting, Gerry. Bastogne, which is a hybrid of Claro (Juglans hindsii) and English (Juglans regia), would seem like a somewhat unusual choice for a 6x45 (or any light rifle on the L461 action) since it is the heaviest of the various walnut species and hybrids.

6. mercs430

mercs430 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New Jersey
    South Pender, would be nice if there were markings underneath.

7. douglastwo

douglastwo Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    My guess is that the wood is one of the Juglans regia species (i.e. either English, French, Turkish Circassian, or Circassian from the old Russia muslim republics). And for my final guess, I'll go with Turkish Circassian. Whatever it is, it is beautiful. I don't have any guns with Turkish, but I do have several high grade Browning Superposed Superlights that were ordered with French Walnut. The first and second shotgun from the left have French walnut. The third and forth have Black walnut.
    guns 003.jpg

Sean Hodges likes this.
  8. South Pender

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA British Columbia
    Thanks, douglastwo, for clarifying the nomenclature involving the Juglans regia species of walnut. You're right; depending on where it was grown, it gets called English, French, Turkish, Circassian. It is found in the Caucasus (Turkey, Armenia, Georgia, Azerbaijan) and, as you say, the former Muslim Soviet republics, including Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, and Kyrgyzstan, and throughout the Middle East. It's found as far east as India, Tibet, and China. And let's not forget about New Zealand! I have a beautiful New Zealand walnut stock on a Cooper rifle. Actually, a lot of Juglans regia used in gunstocks is grown in California (labeled sometimes as California English), although the supply there is dwindling. It’s all the same wood species, although you get some definite variation in appearance--figure and color--depending on where it was harvested. The lower grades of it are described as 'European Walnut'--or just 'Walnut'--by many European firearms companies, including Sako, when describing their gunstocks.

9. mercs430

mercs430 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New Jersey
    Absolutely beautiful Superposed shotguns!

10. mercs430

mercs430 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New Jersey
    Stonecreek, my friend got back to me after viewing better pics on his monitor, he is torn between
    Bastogne and English, especially seeing the fiddleback in it, hope this helps.

11. mercs430

mercs430 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New Jersey
    South Pender, would love to see a pic of that Cooper with New Zealand walnut, some time.

12. marlin92

marlin92 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    Stone could be claro walnut

13. South Pender

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA British Columbia
    So there you have it, stonecreek. It's very likely either English, American Black, Bastogne, or Claro, or in Latin binomial terms, Juglans regia, Juglans nigra, Juglans paradox, or Juglans hindsii.;)

14. icebear

icebear Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    I'm glad that has been clarified! :confused:

FLT likes this.
  15. Stephen Cea

Stephen Cea Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New York
    I'll Say !!!

16. Stephen Cea

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New York
    First visit to the range today showed promise... IMR 4198 21.0 grains , Fed 205, Lapua brass, sierra 40 gr .224 Hornet. I will load some more of the same and confirm on the next visit.
    [​IMG]

stonecreek and Norway.375 like this.
  17. South Pender

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA British Columbia
    Wow, Stephen! As the saying goes, "Handsome is as handsome does."

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020
  18. Stephen Cea

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New York
    Yes South Pender...I think it's a keeper :) !

Regards

19. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Looks like that "flyer" spread your group out to nearly a quarter of an inch!

20. Stephen Cea

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New York
    No doubt stonecreek....Windy conditions and my aging eyes...I'll work to tighten it up a bit :)!!