Lost my sight hood.

Discussion in 'General Sako Discussions' started by stephenhubchen, Apr 11, 2019.

1. stephenhubchen

stephenhubchen Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Virginia
    Out hunting, I lost my sight hood on my .308 Forester L579. It must have snagged on something. I don't really need it as I exclusively use a scope but would like to get it replaced, if for no other reason, because without it, the front sight really catches on the brush. The other option would be to have a gunsmith remove the front sight completely.

I recall that someone on this sight arranged for a metal smith to do a limited run on replacement sight hoods. Are there any left from that? Otherwise, what are my options?

Thanks,

Steve

2. ricksengines

ricksengines Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    Hi Steve

If you opt to have the front sight removed you can kiss all of the value that the rifle has goodbye.

A quick check on Ebay for Sako Gun Parts turned up this.....

Sako Factory Front Sight Hood

will fit your L579. $30 plus $5 for shipping.

Good Luck

rick

3. cl_leg

cl_leg Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA Ontario
  4. CVCOBRA1

CVCOBRA1 Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Illinois
    I bought two of the ebay hoods. Put one on and wasn't satisfied with the fit, too loose. Asked the seller about it and didn't get a reply. Came off when I pulled the gun out of one of my zippered cases. And I didn't spread it to far putting it on. Both are back in the baggie that I got them in.

5. ricksengines

ricksengines Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    So, squeeze it together to make it a tighter fit.

Removing the front sight is a real non-starter.

rick

6. CVCOBRA1

CVCOBRA1 Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Illinois
    It doesn't have the correct temper in it. You spread it apart to slide it on and it won't spring back to hold it tight. Get it started and tap it on with my plastic drift hammer. I can tell you have worked a lot with spring steel. I'm thinking these come from the Gunfather, the same as the recoil pads and scope ring screws. All are the same seller.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
  7. Tomball

Tomball Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Complain to eBay through their system,. A similar issue for me happened and eBay requested I return. My credit card was credited

8. stephenhubchen

stephenhubchen Active Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Virginia
    Thanks for the replies. Did a simple search on google just after my OP. Found this.

Looks like the one I lost. They also sell on Ebay I think.

edit - not sure if the link is working. The site is Custom Shop, Inc. Google "Sako Factory Front Site Hood."

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019