Looking to purchase my first Finnwolf

Discussion in 'Sako Finnwolf VL63 lever actions' started by siekkid, Apr 8, 2018.

1. siekkid

siekkid Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    I’ve come across a .308 Finnwolf that I’m interested in purchasing but I am totally unfamiliar with these guns. I believe this is an early one. No import stamp, serial number 16xx. It has a “casket magazine” which I haven’t heard of before. The gun appears to be in excellent shape (haven’t seen it in person yet) with beautiful wood. The guy says it has been fired very little if any (he’s never fired it in his 10 years of ownership, bought from an estate sale).
    My questions are:
    Any idea on approximate year made?
    Value range?
    Specific things to look for when inspecting it?
    Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. deergoose

deergoose Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Virginia
    Buy it. or you'll be sorry later on if you don't. That's a real early one, probably late '60s. If it's marked "Bofors", you've struck gold. Negotiate a price and take it home with you! Check for the site hood and undamaged screw heads. It has the rear sling loop, make sure the front one is there too.

good luck.
    DeerGoose

siekkid likes this.
  3. marlin92

marlin92 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    Very nice gun- looks like very good condition from the pictures - it is the earlier model of Finnwolf with the 4 shot magazine. The newer guns were a 3 shot version and the magazine was flat on the bottom. This gun has the factory scope bases so that's a plus but not sure if it has the factory sights. Some guns were drilled and tapped for an open rear sight and has a front sight base and blade. You may want to find out if the gun is drilled and tapped for the rear sight and if the sight is on the gun or included in the sale - likewise ask about the front one I.E. is the blade intact. Reasonable price is probably around $1500 - give or take a little.
    As far as date there are factory records available for some guns - shows info on when gun left factory - not sure if this one's records are available - link at the top of the page " Factory Records Service"
    good luck

siekkid likes this.
  4. siekkid

siekkid Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    I got to inspect the Finnwolf yesterday. Front site hood is there and perfect, as are both sling loops. The bluing is beautiful and perfect. Stock is gorgeous and only has one small imperfection in the finish on top towards the back. No Bofors marking. Did they possibly not start marking the earlier barrels until a certain time?
    I’d believe this rifle hasn’t been fired since leaving the factory, but I’m no expert.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
  5. siekkid

siekkid Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    Thanks for the good info. I inspected the rifle yesterday and it is terrific. No rear sight with this rifle, but everything else is there and in great shape. The gentleman turned down my initial offer so I didn’t bring the gun home with me, but this morning we worked out a price we could both agree on. I just need to scrape up a few more hundred dollars and find time to drive back out to take ownership. I’m very excited! I think I’ll try to get factory records now like you suggested.

6. deergoose

deergoose Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Virginia
    Congrats on your purchase ! you will now just have to buy some more Sako rifles !!!! in general, they stopped marking the barrels "Bofors" in about 1968 or so. Please let us know how your new rifle shoots!

DeerGoose

siekkid likes this.
  7. siekkid

siekkid Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    I had the factory records search done and this Finnwolf was inspected in April 1969 and shipped to Firearms International in May 1969. What a great service to have available.
    I'll follow up with pictures when I actually get the rifle.

8. Coyote Down

Coyote Down Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Maine
    Beautful tiger stripe - looking forward to more pics.

siekkid likes this.