• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako Looking To Learn Sako Forester L579 in .308 WINC

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

JohnH

Hello Fellow SAKO enthusiasts! I am trying to help a friend get some information and possible value range for a SAKO Forester L579 in .308 WIN. that is like new, still in the box. It has been shot, his dad shot a couple rounds himself and there are some Leupold scope mounts in the box as well.
I have attached a bunch of pictures and the only flaw I see (and it's not good unfortunately) is on the barrel by the front sight.
Again any information on the rifle or it's value would be much appreciated!!
Thanks, John
Sako-01.jpg Sako-02.jpg Sako-03.jpg Sako-04.jpg Sako-05.jpg Sako-06.jpg Sako-07.jpg Sako-08.jpg Sako-09.jpg Sako-10.jpg Sako-11.jpg Sako-12.jpg Sako-13.jpg Sako-14.jpg Sako-15.jpg Sako-16.jpg Sako-17.jpg Sako-18.jpg Sako-19.jpg Sako-20.jpg Sako-21.jpg Sako-22.jpg

Even though Sako internally referred to their medium action as the L579, which the hang tag indicates, your rifle is actually stamped with the AII moniker indicating it is the L579 with the bolt shroud modification. My best guess is that it was made very late in the AII production period. The 800,000 serial number range started as a new "common numbering" system in 1991 & the AII was replaced by the M591 in 1992. The box shows it as Han.- Handy rifle, Oil.- oil or satin finish, o/s- open sights, & Clip.- which is actually a DBM (detachable box magazine). The factory modifications on this rifle, especially the DBM make it quite unique & a desirable collector type rifle. Putting a value on such a unique rifle has it's difficulties because we usually estimate market value based on condition, rarity, & comparable sales, etc. I have never seen a Sako with a factory DBM, let alone seen one sell, so finding a "comp sale" is unlikely. Suffice it to say that this rifle would gather some "serious" buyers should it come to market. I can only offer a guess that in today's market this rifle could possibly bring several thousand dollars because of the DBM alone, but that's just my guess. The box, hang tag, & other papers could enhance it's value, as well. If you intend to sell this rifle, I would suggest you put it on one of the on line gun auction/sale sites & let the free market determine it's "value". You could also list it here, in the Trade Corner, with a price & an OBO to see what interest in garners & negotiate a sale. Thanks for sharing the pics. Very cool rifle! Good luck!

Couldn't have said it better than Paulson did.

Although very recent to be a "collectible", the combination of features is so unique that I'm sure there would be a great deal of interest if this rifle were to be offered on the open market.

I generally agree with Paulson and Stone. However, there are some sako configurations that are very few in availability, but nobody cares. The only way to determine value is to put it on proxibid or gunbroker. For example, I like rare sakos, but I am not interested in this particular model. Nonetheless, congratulations on your friend's unique rifle!

I generally agree with Paulson and Stone. However, there are some sako configurations that are very few in availability, but nobody cares. The only way to determine value is to put it on proxibid or gunbroker. For example, I like rare sakos, but I am not interested in this particular model. Nonetheless, congratulations on your friend's unique rifle!
I agree as well. It’s funny how folks view certain models/features as well as caliber. I must admit I might over spend on a rifle such as this. But obviously I’d have to see the actual asking price before I decide on exactly what over spending looks like.

Thank you so much for taking your time and providing all the wonderful information above, my friend was surprised to say the least!!

So the auction will start tonight and run for 7 days, this should be interesting to say the least!

We have put a reserve of $1200 on this so I guess we'll see what happens.

Thanks again!! John

Back in the late 90's there was an auction at Rock Island of a large collection of rare Sakos, including several with detachable magazines like this one. A friend and I thought about registering and bidding, but we figured everything we were interested in (mainly Mannlichers and metrics) would go up into the stratosphere. In fact, hammer prices were relatively moderate and we kind of regretted not bidding. The only thing I know about the production is that Sako made just a few guns with detachable mags in the early 90's and several found their way into a well-known collection in the US, which was auctioned by Rock Island. I don't think I have a copy of the catalog any more. The auction did include Mannlicher-stocked guns with detachable mags.

Further deponent sayeth not.

Back