Looking for that hard to find SAKO

Discussion in 'Other firearms built on Sako actions' started by Guest, Feb 7, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Banned

Dear SAKO Members,

I first want to thank you for letting me join your Club. I have owned SAKO Rifles for over 20 years and I am still looking for the perfect pack gun. A few years ago I ran across a model that has intriged me and I have decided to breakdown and find one, but most of the guys at the gun shows we have been going to don't even know what I am talking about much less give me the time of day when I mention SAKO. What I am looking for is a SAKO that was imported/sold as a Browning in the mid to late 60's. The caliber I want is a .284 Win with a pencil-barrel. This model, caliber and barrel are few and far between but if anybody knows of one or has one for sell please drop me a line.

Thanks,

Jim

2. Guest

Guest Banned

This is called the Browning Safari rifle. You are correctthis early rifles had Sako actions and barrels. I have seen them around. Yourbest bet is to checkout Gunbroker.com, Auctionarms.com or Gunsamerica.com.

Allen

3. Guest

Guest Banned

That rifle was WAY ahead of its time. Think about what is happening today with the short magnums. Shooters want large case capacity in a rifle with reasonable weight. The .284 round has the same case capacity as the 06' BUT will fit into a .308 or mid length action.

Your best bet if you want one is not try and find an old Browning, but to simply re barrel a Sako with an A2 or 579 action. You then get a new barrel to boot. I have a NIB A2 action and that's what I will likely do with it.

4. Guest

Guest Banned

I have seen one in 284, and it wasn't cheap. Try Scheels All Sports, they have an ad in Gunlist. They also have a fine gun room like some of the Cabelas stores.

Most dealers won't discuss Sako because they don't know much about them. They don't have the collector following like Pre-64s, and don't sell as fast as a $400 Ruger or Remington. Most younger guys only know Sakos as expensive guns, if they have heard of them at all. We all need to do a better job of educating young people as to why Sakos are priced as they are, a custom quality rifle, with fantastic triggers, and unmatched out-of-the-box accuracy. I stopped collecting Winchesters after I bought my first Sako, and my Sakos will be the last ones given up when its time to quit.

5. Guest

Guest Banned

dear paklanjk;
    I too became intrigued by the concept of a sako in .284. I solved the problem by having an L57 forester in .243 rechambered and re-bored to .284. I also stretched the action to almost 3 inches and modified the magazine and floorplate to match.
    This gun instantly became my favorite and I have killed several sheep with it as well as other big game with it. Please no comments about what I did to a beautiful old forester.
    If this was't enough I started watching for another L57 forester in .308 to convert into the wildcat .30/.284 which is a short action 30-06. When I found an old colt huntsman in .308 on the L57 action I bought it and had it rechambered to .30/.284 but I have not had time yet to stretch the action but it does just fine with lighter bullets like 150 grain which I can drive to 30-06 velocities and more.
    I prefer the L57 action because it has the safety on the bolt which is about the only thing Weatherby does right anymore.

best regards and happy hunting,
    Paavo