Looking for scope rings for late 70's AIII

Discussion in 'General Sako Discussions' started by Pinman, Nov 18, 2020.

1. Pinman

Pinman Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    Purchased an AIII 30-06 made in the late 70's I believe. Trying to find scope rings that fit on the factory grove mounts, front is modern day width and slightly tapered but back rail is significantly smaller width and tapered with a "stud" fitting at the back. Having a very difficult time and dont even know what to call this type of mount. Any help is appreciated!!

2. Sean Hodges

Sean Hodges Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    The most desirable for your vintage rifle are known as Sako Ringmounts for the Sako dovetails. Ebay is probably your best source but they do show up here in the trade corner as well. Sako Ringmounts are available in 25.4 and 26mm tube size. They are available in low, medium and high. They are not available in 30 MM. The notch is for a stud located on the rear ring. The stud and notch work in conjunction to help maintain zero if the optic is removed.

Leupold also makes ringmounts for the Sako dovetails. They are a good alternative as they are available in several heights and 30 MM tube size as well. Leupold ringmounts do not have a stud, therefore. the rear ring can be placed anywhere along the rear dovetail.

Sako also makes modern selections known as Sako Optilock ringmounts and Sako Optilock base and ring sets. They are available in several heights and are available in 1” and 30MM. Hope this helps.

3. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    The tapered dovetails on Sako rifles have been the same from the first rifle up to the current model 85. They are designed to accept either direct clamp on ringmounts made by Sako (either vintage or current production) or the Leupold ringmounts. They also will accept drive on bases that will accept Redfield style turn in rings. Talley & some other makers like Conetrol make base/ring systems as well. Your easiest & least expensive option is to get the Leupold ringmounts made specifically for Sako in the appropriate height to allow scope bell clearance. The front & rear ringmounts are made to match the dovetail tapers. The Leupolds don't have the rear stud on the rear ringmount, which allows you to place it anywhere on the dovetail. The rear stud is superfluous & serves no purpose, other than allowing you to place the scope in the same position should you remove it or to position the rear peep sight in the same location. Many modern variable scope won't go far enough forward for proper eye relief if you have ringmounts with the rear stud, which is why many remove it on ringmounts that have it. The taper on the dovetails causes the rings to self tighten from the forces of recoil. It is a superb system to those that understand it.

4. Pinman

Pinman Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    Thank you both for the responses! My research has come up with the Optilock and the Leupold Ringmounts for Sako but I can never pin down exactly what I need to order especially in light of the differing widths of the front and rear rails. Trying to mount a Leupold 3x9x40 so maybe I should consult with Leupold or Sako directly? Im will also check Ebay as Gunbroker didnt have much. If either of you could provide a link or part number with the rings I would appreciate it! Would love to get some Talley rings under the glass. Thanks again!

Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
  5. Sean Hodges

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    When you purchase which ever brand - they are sold as a set. Proprietary to each dovetail.

For your 3x9x40 Sako Medium Ringmounts will work, as will medium Leupolds. The Optilock system will work best with low Ringmounts. I do not recommend the ring and base sets. Leupold has very user friendly website. Beretta sells Sako ring sets. All three are available on eBay. Talley can be purchased there as well, and they have a website as well.

6. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    There are some differences in the Optilock bases. If you decide to use Optilocks, you will need to get an Optilock base that is correct for AIII, AV, and L61R rifles. There are several different Optilock bases for various models. See the Sako website for details. The Redfield-style bases also come in two flavors, one for the medium and short actions and one for the long actions like yours.

I agree with Sean that the best rings for an AIII are the old-style Sako ring mounts. They have gotten kind of pricey on the collector market but they give a nice authentic look, work perfectly, and are windage adjustable. Cost is still less than Optilocks, although the Leupold rings are somewhat cheaper. There is an older style and a newer style, shown in the photos below. The newer style rings are slightly higher for each nominal height than the older ones.

Original Sako Ringmounts.
    Original Sako Low Rings 1.JPG

Late Medium Rings 2.JPG

7. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
  8. icebear

icebear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    That depends on the specific scope. A 40mm scope with an adjustable objective may require high rings. The adjustment ring adds a bit to the outside diameter.

9. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    That has been my experience as well. That's why I say mediums will fit "most" 40mm objective lens scopes. Even some without an AO can be too big.

10. Sean Hodges

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    Agree with you and icebear for sure. Since the OP was specific regarding a Leupold 3-9x40, which is non AO, I felt confident medium ringmounts would work as I’ve set many Sakos up this way. Of course this also assumes the barrel is an original standard taper. Have a great day.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
    stonecreek likes this.
  11. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    +1

12. Pinman

Pinman Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    Thanks for all the help. I think I have found some originals on Ebay.