• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Looking for L461 rings

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Interesting. My shack is off the grid also. I'd keep it that way. My wife would appreciate running water. We've been getting by with a solar shower.

We have discussed driving a sandpoint and seeing how far we have to go to get decent water. I don't think it would be more than 30 feet in the area we are at. We would pump it to a 250-500 gallon tank on a cradle and than have it run to the kitchen. We don't want showers and indoor plumbing or there will be too many women that want to come up there with us :). My daughter doesn't mind, but she has been camping with me since she was a little girl in the BWCA.

I thought I understood my neighbor up in Ely to say that his well is 275 feet deep. I used to go camping in the BWCA, but that kind of went once I got into my fifties. Figures, that's when I inherited land up there. In theory you could launch directly from my land on the Echo Trail to the BWCA. (You'd just have to walk a mile back to the cabin to get the car once you came out of the BWCA.)

I was lucky to shoot my deer up there last year with a Finnwolf. This year I'm hoping to shoot one with a Tikka.

I'm jealous...you have a Finnwolf! What caliber? I'm in my late 50's and don't get up there as much as I used to when the kids were younger. We spent most of our time on the Gunflint trail side of BWCA. It's terrible to say, but I have never been to Ely.

You may have a more difficult time driving a sandpoint with all the granite up there. 275 ' would be expensive. If you have a low spot on your property close to the cabin you may be able to find good water close to the surface and pump it up to the cabin. As clean as the water is up there, you could pump it from a lake to a holding tank and filter it for a hot water heater if you need showers. We stay at a cabin in Northern Ontario for moose hunting that has a system set up like that. The tank sits on a cradle about 20' up in the air and is gravity fed into the cabin. Hot water for washing dishes and showers every day! You get spoiled in a hurry that way :).

If you don't mind me joining the conversation, a gravity-fed water system works great. However, if there are circumstances which prevent elevating a tank, there is another effective solution to providing flowing water. A bear hunting camp I stayed at in northern Alberta used a car battery (or better, a deep cycle trolling motor battery) to run a small demand pump like is used on agricultural and garden sprayers. You'd be surprised at the volume these little pumps will produce, which is plenty for a shower, lavatory, or washing dishes at the kitchen sink. For a few hundred bucks you can get a solar battery charger which will produce enough electricity to keep the battery charged and give you ample water, some modest lighting, and make the radio play (or recharge your I-phone).

We have solar panels on the cabin and use them with an inverter for all the electricity in the cabin. We have the batteries hooked up in seris to give us all the demand needed for lights and other electrical needs (no microwave or TV). We still bring a generator for running power equipment like saws and nail guns when we are building (new Taj Mahal biff was built this year). I have a small Honda gas operated pump that filled the 200 gallon tank where we stayed at in Ontario in about 15 minutes. It really increases the creature comforts of a cabin quickly. Nobody minds having to do the dishes when you have running water to clean up after a meal! Plus it is nice to not spend a whole week in camp with a bunch of guys that smell like billy goats :).

I have told my GF that the phone doesn't work at the cabin...don't want to give her any ideas that it can be charged and used while I'm up there! :)

It's a .308 from Finnwolf from the Garcia era. Funny, I've never been to the Gunflint side that I can recall. Always Ely since I was a kid. Mom was from there.

Of course, join in Stonecreek! You guys are giving me some ideas. I did look into some solar options awhile back, but I could find nothing that would seem to work for me.

My land is up on a 50 ft. goat-hill and dry as a bone.

Last edited:
Back