Looking for L461 rings

Discussion in 'SCC Trade Corner' started by saunaking, Oct 5, 2012.

1. saunaking

saunaking Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Wisconsin
    Hi everyone -
    I'm new to the forum, but have been a user of Sako rifles for over 25 years. I recently purchased a Vixen in .222 that came withour rings and am having a horrible time trying to find a set that will work for this action. If anyone has access to the correct rings made for this action or knows someone who might sell a set, please let me know through a PM.
    I will post some pictures of the three Sako's I have later in a more appropriate part of the forum. Thank you

2. topgear

topgear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    Welcome Saunaking.

Check out ebay. See http://www.ebay.com/itm/Leupold-Sak...837?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c6701cb3d as an example. These leupold rings will clamp straight onto your sako dovetails. I would also imagine you could get them at a bass pro or Cabela's as well easily.

Vintage correct rings look like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sako-Scope-...113501?pt=Vintage_Hunting&hash=item337c8f889d you can find them on ebay, gunbroker etc and they will be about double the price of the leupold rings.

There is also a host of other rings and ring/base combo's available but the above the two most common.
    Hope this helps.

Cheers John

3. saunaking

saunaking Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Wisconsin
    John -
    Thanks for the links to the rings. I tried the Leupold rings (part #54409) and they do not fit the rear dovetail for the 461 action. I saw that set of original Sako rings on Ebay, but don't want to pay the bloody fortune that this guy wants for them! I have a local guy that thinks he may have a set, but won't be back home from a hunt until next week. I am leaving for an elk hunt next week and wanted to take the rifle with me to do a little coyote hunting while I was in Montana. Might have to take something else with me to use.

4. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Leupold makes front & rear ringmount sets specifically for the Sako dovetails & if you got the right ones they should fit perfectly. The front & rear ringmounts have different width milled out areas in the bottom that slide on the appropriate dovetail. Could be they packed two rear rings or two front rings by mistake. Can't figure out what else would cause the Leupolds to not work. They work great on all my Sakos & are readily available at most gun stores & the national chain sporting goods shops. Midway, Brownells & others sell them mail order.

5. saunaking

saunaking Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Wisconsin
    I bought a pair of the Leupold medium rings (#54409), that have the same configuration of what you mentioned. The rear dovetail on the L461 action is much narrower (even at the widest point) than the clamp will tighten to. It must have something to do with the size of the early 461 actions that Leupold did not take into account.

6. misako50

misako50 Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Nebraska
    Saunaking- Would you please give us the dimensions of the rear integral base on your L461? We may have something new here ---or-- we are not on the same page with you.-Misako

7. saunaking

saunaking Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Wisconsin
    Using my caliper, the widest point on the rear dovetail is .534, narrowest part (closest to the bolt handle) is .480. This is the outside width measured on the flat, not on the inside of the dovetail. Hope that makes sense, if not I will take a picture and post it.

8. misako50

misako50 Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Nebraska
    That makes perfect sense. That is essentially what I am measuring on mine. I have no trouble getting the Leupold ringmounts (notice I said ringmounts-one piece) to work on this rifle. I believe something is wrong with the rear mount from ebay. I still get stung once in a great while on ebay. I might also add that I always position the rear ringmount at the center of the Sako integral rear base.-Misako

Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
  9. saunaking

saunaking Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Wisconsin
    The rings were bought from a local sporting goods store (Scheels) that usually has what I need for rings and bases. The guy I deal with there is an older gentleman that knows rifles (not some kid hired for the summer) and he said they would work as well. The screw bottoms out before the ring is tight on the intregal base of the rifle. I have Control rings/bases on my AII action. Maybe I should look at those and see if that is an option.

10. misako50

misako50 Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Nebraska
    Joel- It is always frustrating to know something should work but nothing you try is getting the job done. In "our" defense, there were cases where those rings were found to be defective. The older I get, the more defective I get also.-Mike:dodge:

11. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    I have a L46 from the early 50's, a L469 from the late 50's, a L579 from the early 60's, & an AI version of the L461 from the late 80's & the dovetails all ALL the same. Leupold ringmounts are on ALL of them & fit perfectly. Sako didn't change anything in the dovetails. Either you have the wrong ringmounts or something is wrong the the ringmounts you have. Take them back to Scheels with the rifle & you should be able to get it resolved. If Scheels doesn't help you call Leupold. I KNOW they will stand behind their product if anything is not right. The Conetrols are a nightmare compared to the simplicity of the Leupolds & IMHO the Leupolds are a much better mounting system.

12. topgear

topgear Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    You may have just got a mixed up set that has two front 'ringmounts'. See my post here for something similar.

http://www.sakocollectors.com/forum...ear-Scope-dovetail-clamps-for-old-sako-mounts

These are on the original style sako ringmounts but you will get the picture. Sometimes mixups happen even at the factory. I'm sure leupold would replace free of charge with just a phone call.

I had a very eariler Leupold 3x m8 scope I sent back to Leupold last year which had a broken reticle. They replaced the reticle, put in new lenses and turrets and sent it back free of charge to Australia. I was pretty impressed considering its a 1970's era scope. So I'm sure they would go out of there way to help you out with a replacement.

Cheers John

13. sakonut

sakonut Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    Years ago, I bought several sets of Leupold ringmounts. They are very sturdy. I had exactly the same problem with one ringmount; the front fit perfect, but the rear was loose. Found both were the same size. Sent them to Leupold, and they did exchange them for a properly fitting set.

I have a set of original Sako medium ringmounts that has slight knurling on the thumb screws. I would sell them for $45 shipped. Also have a set of as new medium extended ringmounts in the original box for $125

14. saunaking

saunaking Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Wisconsin
    Man can I relate to that one! I am bringing the rings I purchased back to Scheels. Another gentleman on the forum PM'd me with an offer for some rings that I am waiting to hear back on. Hopefully I can turn this aorund quick enough to take it on the elk hunt with me. Lots of yotes inn the area where we are hunting, and a few wolves. Two of the guys in our party of wolf tags, so we may get a crack at one.
    Joel

15. iwanna

iwanna Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Minnesota
    Looks like we have at least two Joels from Minnesota on this forum. I'm from Maplewood and have a cabin in Ely.

16. saunaking

saunaking Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Wisconsin
    Hi Joel...
    I live in Brooklyn Park, originally from the Detroit Lakes area and have hunting land NE of there. Can't wait for the deer/wolf season to start!! Do you hunt and how is the wolf population by your cabin in Ely?

17. iwanna

iwanna Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Minnesota
    Joel,

I work in Brooklyn Park. I'm originally from St. Paul. I'm counting the days to firearms season. Every waking thought at this point, except when I'm thinking about guns.

I'd say the wolf population up by the cabin is quite healthy to say the least. I was lucky enough to get a deer last year, but I think the wolves ate mine the year before.

I love saunas; I even had one in my house years ago. I'd like to build one next to the cabin.

18. saunaking

saunaking Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Wisconsin
    I'm on the river in BP....nice quiet area unlike a lot of BP. I have a portable sauna that goes up to my hunting cabin for the deer season. It uses a wood burning stove from my wall tent. It is set up on my back deck during the winter for saunas. You will have to check it out some time. I'm leaving for an elk hunt in a week, so I need to get to the range and verify the loads for the two rifles I am taking.
    Joel

19. iwanna

iwanna Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Minnesota
    Which range? A friend of mine is working the range at Beaverbrook this weekend for sight-in days. He said it was real quiet yesterday. It will get crazy at the last minute like usual. Everybody waits 'till the last minute.

I'm not the sauna guy I used to be now that I'm getting older. It's been years actually. If I build one by the cabin, it would be primarily a shower shack. Something I could heat to a comfortable temp during deer season or winter.

20. saunaking

saunaking Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Wisconsin
    I shoot at Deltone in St Cloud most of the time. I am being sponsored for a membership at the Elk River Sportsmans club this fall and hope to join there. I shoot F-class league there and have gotten to know several of the guys that are members there. It is the only range in the metro area that has 3-400 yard capability. They don't let you use the 600 yard range unless an event is going on.

That is why I built the portable unit for the hunting shack. It sure is nice having a way to clean up after a few days "in the woods"! Kinda interesting when you think how the old Fin's used a sauna for their Saturday night baths before there was in-door plumbing where I grew up. We don't have running water at our cabin (staying off the grid), so the outdoor sauna is a great way to clean up and it sure is relaxing. When I set it up on my deck in BP, it has to be dark before we use it, since some of the neighbors have young kids and don't want to see my naked body sitting in a chair cooling off between sessions :).