Looking for info on old Sako

Discussion in 'Sako Mausers, Hi-Powers and Magnum Mausers' started by slinkylegs, May 19, 2019.

1. slinkylegs

slinkylegs Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA Saskatchewan
    Hey all, I have this old Sako that I've been looking at selling but need to know more about it before I post anything. I'm fairly new to the Sako world so I have very limited knowledge regarding this stuff. I know there are experts here who could get me much further than all my hours of Googling have done thus far!

The gun itself says "Sako" and has a serial number of "110698" stamped beneath it. The caliber is listed as 375 magnum, which I know is a 375 H&H. There are no other markings of the gun as to identify it as a specific model. It has a flip up rear site for 200 yards, which is something I've never seen up close (I like it). The steel is in good shape, with only one spot I know of that is worn (a very small area under the rear base). The wood shows obvious signs of wear, mainly on the cheek piece. No cracks anywhere, and it functions perfectly well.

I suppose my questions would be:

1. What is the exact model? I've heard and had many conflicting reports as to what it is, and I certainly don't want to misidentify it when I sell it.
    2. Based on the model, what is a realistic asking price? Again, based on the different model suggestions I've heard and read so many different price points.

Sako 1.jpg Sako 2.jpg Sako 3.jpg Sako 4.jpg Sako 5.jpg Sako 6.jpg Sako 7.jpg

2. icebear

icebear Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    You have what is generally referred to as an FN-Sako. These guns were built in the 1950's. The rifles were built by Sako in Finland on Mauser type actions supplied by FN in Belgium. The FN-Sako rifles were made in .270, .30-06, .300 H&H, .375 H&H, 8x60, and possibly one or two more. The most common caliber by far is .30-06; the .375 is fairly scarce.

Your rifle appears to be generally original except for the recoil pad and the missing front sight hood. I would put the value in the $800-1200 range depending on who wants it and how badly, and how quickly you want to move it.

3. slinkylegs

slinkylegs Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA Saskatchewan
    Great, thanks for the information! I did figure the recoil pad wasn't stock, but wasn't 100% sure whether there was a front hood or not. It's not a surprise that it is a rare gun, as I could hardly find any information online. I couldn't even find information at gun auction sites regarding past sales and prices.

I assume the prices you quoted are in USD?

4. icebear

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    Correct. In USD and in the USA. Canadian Sako prices are somewhat different; we have several active members in Canada and hopefully they will weigh in with their opinions on value.

5. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    The Sako-Mausers are fine rifles but don't seem to enjoy as much following as they deserve. They tend to sell about like other commercial FN Mausers from the 1950's and 1960's, which is sometimes as high as Icebear estimate range, but also sometimes comes up a bit short of that range. Locality, time of they year, and general economic expectations (as well as barometric pressure, phase of the moon, and marital relations) all have a somewhat unpredictable influence on rifle prices, so what your market may produce can vary from others.

6. icebear

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    My experience has been that the FN-Sako rifles are at the upper end of prices for FN Mausers of that era. They bring quite a bit more than, for instance, rifles made for Sears Roebuck, and somewhat more than those simply branded FN (without the Browning name). Prices for the FN-Sakos are comparable to, or perhaps a bit less than, prices for similar plain-grade FN Brownings. My estimate of value includes a premium for the scarce .375 caliber. That said, it's a guess like any other and everybody's experience is different. I agree that the FN-Sako rifles are somewhat undervalued in the market. I have an all-original .30-06 and a custom .300 H&H. I wouldn't mind adding a .270 or even a .375 to the mix if the price was right.

Both Sako and FN supplied actions to Harrington & Richardson. FN provided full-length actions while Sako furnished L579 medium actions and L461 short actions. H&R even made a few Mannlicher-style carbines on both the FN and L579 actions. I had a chance to pick up a Mannlicher-stocked FN-H&R rifle in .30-06 a couple of years ago at a very favorable price, but I was a bit light on cash at the time and passed on it. Now I wish I'd bought it.

7. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Most, of the H&R Sakos were barreled actions with barrels made by Sako. The exception was some of the diminutive Ultra Wildcat models. The barrels Sako supplied to H&R's specifications were somewhat lighter in contour than the contemporaneous Sakos, and the actions mostly had round tops with no scope dovetail. Sako also supplied H&R with a few barreled actions on the L61R in .270, .30-06, and 7mm Rem. The stocks H&R put on these were nicely finished with excellent checkering and contrasting fore ends and grip caps, with a rollover cheekpiece. I feel like these should bring a premium on the market, but they seem to be mostly ignored.

It's not clear to me whether H&R was using both Sakos and FN's at the same time, or if one followed the other. Late in the run H&R switched to the less expensive Zastava (Mark X) Mauser. Those, of course, are somewhat less desirable than the Sakos and FN's.

Locality obviously has a lot to do with prices. The Sako-Mausers I run into around here are slow on the market. A thousand or two miles away (and where there is larger game to shoot at) they may very well be a more liquid commodity. I was able to buy the only Deluxe I've ever heard of in this model. It has the Sako engraving on the floorplate and contrasting wood pieces like the L-series Deluxes.

8. icebear

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    VERY cool! Have you posted pictures?