Looking For Help With Finbear

Discussion in 'New members, please introduce yourselves here!' started by MARK TURGEON, Dec 5, 2018.

1. MARK TURGEON

MARK TURGEON Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Utah
    I have a Finbear L61R 7MM that has always been a great shooting gun. However that past few years has been experiencing accuracy issues. Brought to a gunsmith who said barrel had copper build up and he cleaned, Did not resolve the problem. Brought to second gunsmith who said it needs a new barrel. I am looking for gunsmith with Sako experience who could evaluate the gun and fix the problem. Thanks in advance for your help!

2. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    You shouldn't need a smith with "Sako experience" to evaluate a your rifle. There is nothing "different" about how a problem affects a Sako versus any other bolt action rifle. Issues like barrel fouling, crown damage, throat erosion, bedding problems, etc., etc., aren't any different from brand to brand. Don't you believe the second smith? If not, why? Did he borescope the barrel? First thing I would suspect with any "magnum" is throat erosion. That usually occurs from abuse at the range, as hunting doesn't usually subject a barrel to rapid fire heat build up. In that case, it needs a new barrel. If it had copper fouling build up, it was obviously never cleaned properly, as well, which will shorten the life of any barrel. Barrels are disposables, in my opinion, & all of them have a lifespan depending on how they are treated. Good Luck! BTW, Finnbear has two N's.

3. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia
    I too have a Finnbear 7 Mag - had it for a LONG time, Throws about 3 inch groups now - not the scope, bedding, etc.
    Mine's going to Kampfeld for a new barrel or maybe, if possible, getting the chamber recut??

4. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Copper build up is often exacerbated by the use of monometal (solid copper) bullets. The original Barnes X bullets were very bad about severe copper fouling due to a combination of pure (soft) copper and long bearing surfaces. If someone were to sit down at the bench with a box of 20 rounds of these and commence to shoot them all up in fifteen minutes it might very well result in a near-hopelessly fouled bore. I suspect that this has been the fate of quite a few "ruined" bores.

Depending on what the condition of the barrel was to begin with, some of these might clean up. Others, like a Bofors-barreled magnum I bought used, seem to keep yielding more copper than an open pit mine in Montana regardless of how many times they are cleaned. I've tried several different cleaning methods and patches keep coming out as blue as a new pair of Levis. I doubt that I'll ever get it to shoot the way it should.

5. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Georgia
    I cleaned and cleaned with Br2 and still haven't got the grouping that the rifle and the shooter are capable of,
    Heard with a Magnum 2000 rounds is about all to expect,
    I've had mine since '84 and shot it a lot! Got a room full of animals that never heard it go off, just ended up on the wall and in the freezer!

6. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    It is true that chamberings with large cases and small bores can be very rough on throats.

I have a Sako .264 Magnum which I've owned since 1965. For twenty years it was my only game rifle. As a result, it has been fired many thousands of times over the last half-century, and early on with the injudicious handloads of a reckless teenager who thought that more speed was always needed and that getting three firings out of a case before the primer fell out on the ground was okay.

The throat now looks like alligator skin. But never having had an issue with fouling, the bore itself is in pretty good shape. It will still place the first shot from a cold barrel exactly where it did the last time it was fired, and groups MOA with its favorite loads. So a rough throat isn't always the death knell of a barrel if the rest of the bore is in good condition.

7. Unclekax

Unclekax Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New York
    Before you try any thing drastic, please try using some Bore tech eliminator. Be careful to keep from getting it on the finish of the stock as it will mar the finish. I use a nylon brush and carbon rod as a copper brush will break down and not give good results.

I have enjoyed some terrific rejuvenation of well used and abused barrels of several makes and models.
    If you cannot find BTE at your local gun shop try Midway Shooters Supply.
    Best of luck, aim and squeeze.