Long range shooting target groups .308

Discussion in 'Sako 75, 85 and A7' started by wags.222, May 9, 2013.

1. wags.222

wags.222 Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    Hi, New to the Club so Hello to all.
    Going to start long range target shooting. Not comps just for my own fun. Hunted for 30 years time for something different.
    I'm looking at getting a new Sako 85 Varmint .308 and a TRG 22 .308. I have not treated my self in many years so sod it.
    Varmint will be used for hunting as well as the range.
    Can someone tell me wot grouping at 600m to 700m I could expect using the Varmint and the same for the TRG22 at 1000m.
    Thanks

2. L-46

L-46 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    Wags
    Welcome to the site!
    Shooting long distances has many challenges which are not so apparent at short range, being a well seasoned hunter, I bet you have experienced 'missing' longer shots.
    Also to be consistent you need some good equipment to make your job easier, and more rewarding.
    Your first challenge should be to maintain a 1 inch group at each yardage as you progress to further distances, ie a 2 inch group at 200, 3 inch at 300 an so on. This sounds easy but try it.
    A well set up rifle with good support equipment and steady rest should give you 0.5 inch accuracy, to be any good, but the further the distance and the more trying the conditions, that's when it gets interesting.
    Good Shootin'
    L-46

3. wags.222

wags.222 Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    Hi L-46
    Thanks for the reply.
    I have shot 300m many times and still shoot with grate success just using the old Sako .222. (Rabbits and Foxes)
    Also first time at a range using the club F Class rifle shot 2- 10 shot rounds at 300m scoring 56 and 58 out of 60. And I was kicking my self for such a low score. I know I now sound like a smart ass but I have a good idea on the challenges of long range shooting. I just never got around to buying a rifle to reach out 1000m.
    Wot I would like to know is the capability of the rifles I'm looking at getting. I'm very hard on my self when it comes to missing my spot. When out spotlighting for the old red dog if I miss one I curs to my self but if I miss a second I put the gun away and go home. I know its me and not the gun that's off on the night. Sad I know but that's just me. I hate to miss lol. I'm a farm worker and live on the farm so have plenty of land and pests to keep me happy and on sight.
    So wot I'm wanting to know is, at say 600m the Sako Varmint .308 capable of shooting a 0.5 inch group or 1 inch group or referring to your reply a 6 inch group. And so on with longer ranges. Wots the cut out distance of the Sako Varmint?
    I'm not the best writer and find it hard to put in to works to get my question out there.
    I will be looking at getting the TRG22 for the 1000m distance.
    So If I shoot a 6inch group referring to your reply at 600m should I be happy at that or is the gun able to shoot better.
    If a rifle is not capable at shooting a certain range then there's no point trying.
    I always read that a rifle shots .5 at 100m. Does that mean that rifle zeroed at 100m shooting .5 grouping also shoots a .5 grouping at 500m,600m,700m and so on.
    Or does it work the same as bullet drop over distance. As the distance increases the point of impact lowers so does the grouping widen? If that is the case if I zeroed at 300m and get a .5 group the group pattern should be tight and close to the .5 at 600m.
    Hope I don't sound like a smart ass its just something I have always wanted to know. I'm not saying I can shoot this well, far from it but just want to know will the rifles shoot that good.
    Thanks
    Wags

Last edited: May 10, 2013
  4. L-46

L-46 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU New South Wales
    Wags,
    I never judged your ability as a marksman!
    What I am saying is that a rifle will shoot as well as the operator at any range.
    If you are a proficient marksman, and you can hold a .5 inch group at your distance, at 500m for example, I am meaning a 2.5 inch group, you are in the box seat!
    As a bullet leaves the barrel and is turned or directed by wind and other factors, it continues to follow that path until impact. So if two bullets are fired and one is pushed by wind and the other is not so, than the impact point will be different for both.
    This is your challenge!
    In summary when you shoot between 600 and 1000 yards, your challenge will be the wind and its density, not your rifle or equipment.
    Not one rifle will give you an advantage over the other, unless they are a different cartridge, say 308 vs 300 win mag, the 300 mag built to buck the wind, but in saying that money will not buy success, only time in the saddle will turn water into wine.
    Good Shootin'
    L-46

Last edited: May 10, 2013
  5. wags.222

wags.222 Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    L-46,
    I would love to hold a 0.5 pattern every time I shoot but I'm only human and make many poor shot. I know to blame me and not the rifle.
    I'm looking forward to the new Sako Varmint and put it and myself to the test.
    Little stumped with the chose between a TRG22 or AI AW. I have a mate of a mate that happens to be a sniper. He's over seas at the moment. Not had a chance to meet him and chat yet. They use the AI as there main rifle and tells me to go that way be I still like the Sako guarantee .
    Do you know much about ballistics software using a PDA? Take a lot of guess work out of the long shots.

6. Hootsmon

Hootsmon Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    AU Queensland
    Well, the Accuracy International AW rifle is pretty much top shelf stuff. It has features the TRG does not have. It has more options available from the factory. And, it's about twice the price of a TRG. If the quick change barrel and the action bonded to the stock appeal to you, it may be worth the extra money.

The really important question should be: what scope are you going to put on top of it? I'd be looking at the big 34mm tube scopes from Nightforce or Ziess or possibly a Swarovski Z6i. No use buying a top-of-the-line rifle and then hamstringing it with a middle-of-the-road scope.

By the way, if I was considering a sniper rifle, I think it would be hard to go past the straight pull Blaser. http://www.shootingillustrated.com/index.php/9254/blaser-tactical-2/

7. wags.222

wags.222 Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    Will be look at putting a Nightforce Scope on.
    I have not checked out the Blaster until your link but I have reached the TRG22 and AI and have worked out that one or the other will do the job I ask of it. Both will out shooting my ability so leaning more to the TRG manly because of the cost. I have not treated my self for many years so just want to be sure I choose right. The only down side to Sako I think is spare parts and accessories. New barrels have to come from Finland only and the cost of extras is high (Bi pod, muzzle brake extra mags). Not knowing how long it will take me to put 5000 rounds down the tube makes me think about barrel replacements and cost. I just cant see why you would buy a Sako and put a different brand replacement on the action. Also new to the high cal rifle after the 5000 rounds how much is it real going to matter to me as I wont be comp shooting its only me enjoying my own ability.