Short Actions Long Barreled A-II Mannlicher?

Discussion in 'Sako Short Actions' started by stonecreek, Aug 20, 2019.

1. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Check out this Sako Mannlicher on the Griffin and Howe site: http://secure.griffinhowe.com/riflemoreinfo.cfm (click on "used rifles" then scroll down to the Sakos in alphbetical order)

I was unaware that Sako produced any long-barreled full stocks after the L-series (and precious few of them in the L461/579 actions.) This one appears, with its shrouded bolt, to be an A-II. Also, the seller's stock number, which appears to be the gun's serial number (with a digit added) is consistent with the A-II series.

The gun is lacking a front sight (which would be rare in a Mannlicher), but it is impossible to tell if it never had one or if it has been removed. Also, the fore wood doesn't quite match the stock wood, and it has a rear fixed sling swivel, which is inconsistent with an A-II. I'm curious if this is a "bitsa" as our Aussie friends would say, that is, a put-together rifle? What say ye?

2. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Didn't the AII's in 308 Win with the "satin" finished stocks also have the solid red recoil pad?? That one doesn't pass the smell test for me!

3. icebear

icebear Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    This is the first .308 Sako I've ever seen without a crossbolt. The stock configuration looks like factory, but the wood is quite fancy for Sako, especially an AII. And the lack of a front sight on a Mannlicher is unusual, to say the least. I'm guessing it's a custom, but I wouldn't totally rule out a one-off or limited run from the factory.

4. gowyo

gowyo Sako Junkie

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Wyoming
    Looks to me like they have an early AII stock with a custom forend and an aftermarket Barrel or maybe a standard Barreled action w no sights.

5. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Nebraska
    Looks really nice! You better grab this one Steve!!