L46 Loading .222Rem.

Discussion in 'Hand loading your Sako' started by Bob Thom, Dec 21, 2020.

1. Bob Thom

Bob Thom Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Alaska
    I'm starting some load development for .222Rem using IMR4227 and Federal 200 Magnum Small Pistol Primers.
    Starting load is 14.0gr. under an Sie. 1385 40gr. HP and working up to 14.8gr. in 5 steps.
    Anyone loaded this combination before?
    If so how were your results?
    Going to try to get to the range Tuesday or Wednesday for chronograph and accuracy for the first load and I'll post what I come up with.

2. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    4227 is not the best choice for the 222 Rem. It is more suited to smaller cased rifle rounds like the 22 Hornet or pistol/revolver rounds. H4198 or powders with similar burn rates are much better choices in the Triple Deuce. 4227 will not fill the case to a level where you will get consistent ignition which will cause accuracy to suffer. Velocity will likely be substantially lower than what one would expect from a 222 Rem as well.

3. Bob Thom

Bob Thom Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Alaska
    I share your objections to the powder choice here and for the very reasons you mention.
    I suppose I should have prefaced my post by noting that I have, over the past year, divested myself of all of my .357's. S&W models: 19, 27 and 28; 3 screw Blackhawk; Original Colt Trooper. Thus I have quite a bit of 4227 and MSP's left over. I've been offered money for the components but no one will part with anything in trade.
    I'm just looking for a 2MOA or so load at 200-250yds.
    Velocity wise, according to the 2015 Edition of the Hogdon manual the starting load should be 2984 for a 24" barrel. And with 16.ogr 3240 but with a MSP I don't know that I'll go that high. Have to evaluate case expansion, etc with the under 15.0gr loads first.
    Fingers crossed!!

Last edited: Dec 21, 2020
  4. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I agree with both Paulson and Bob. IMR 4227 isn't ideal in a .222, but it is quite usable, particularly if you have a significant quantity that you need to use up.

I loaded some .223 with IMR 4227 a few years back for similar reasons, but have long since lost any notes I had on those loads. However, I recall them yielding very adequate accuracy. My advice would simply be to let your rifle tell you what it likes as you experiment with powder charges and bullet seating.

5. Bob Thom

Bob Thom Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Alaska
    Thank you for the input Stonecreek. Nice to know you had very adequate results with this powder in your .223.
    The rifle, as you say, has the "last word" :)

6. Jeffy1

Jeffy1 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Montana
    I like 23 gr of N133 with the 40 v max hornady in all my sako 222s. Life is too short to screw around with surplus powder to save a few bucks.

7. Bob Thom

Bob Thom Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Alaska
    Components are hard to come by here in any amount or variety (especially now) and living on an island in Southeast Alaska where everything HazMat has to come by barge the freight costs need to be spread over a considerable quantity of components (insert 20+ lbs of powder and 10k primers) which is why I have surplus 4227 and MSPs. The Triple Deuce is a fairly new gun for me (from a late friend's estate) and, being retired on a fixed income, I can't justify spending $140.00 freight costs for a couple pounds of powder and what seems like unobtainable at any price Small Rifle primers since I am very well set for everything else I shoot.
    And I don't mind load development since it is interesting and when my "go to" powder and primer, brass, etc. combinations are not available I have a ready alternate. I load for the .222 with Sie. 1400's over 22.ogr. of H322. I get right at 3000fps with sub MOA accuracy. While I have some of this powder I want to have an acceptable if not a tack driving substitute at the ready. I mean who knows how long the shortages and panic buying at any price will last. The H322 is getting low and I want to save the Sie. 1400's for my Forester in 22-250Rem.

8. Jeffy1

Jeffy1 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Montana
    My apologies. This is why I should not respond impulsively. So buy a 22 hornet and use that 4227! 600 rounds per can. And the Sierra 40 hp is a good one in the hornet.

9. Bob Thom

Bob Thom Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Alaska
    Not to worry Jeffy. I've been looking at the 22 Hornet for many years but as of yet have always become enamored with something else. I've transferred your numbers into my book so maybe one day;).
    Here's Wishing You and Yours a Merry and Safe Christmas and New Year!
    Bob

10. Bob Thom

Bob Thom Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Alaska
    Top right is minimum load 14.0gr.192fps extreme spread and 83 standard deviation with 6 shots recording; bottom left is 14.5gr. with 158fps extreme spread and a 47.1 standard deviation with 9 shot recording.
    Top left is the load my friend developed for this rifle (COAL is 2.195" not the 2.915 shown. Since corrected. A little dyslexic sometimes).
    My Lab Radar is so picky for muzzle placement with .22's. Sometimes takes a few rounds to dial it in again.
    Velocities were well below what Hogdon 2015 data indicated but I'm using Federal MSPs and they used a SRP.
    Still 3 more loads at least to try. Hopefully the improvement will continue. I've already hit my goal of 2MOA so it's all gravy from here;-)
    IMG_0473.jpg

Hope you all have a Great Holiday!!