• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

List of Finnbear Deluxe calibers

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Hi all, I posted on another thread inquiring as to what calibers the Finnbear Deluxe was produced in. It was suggested that it might be a good idea to make a list so here goes. I am going to post the calibers that I know of and some of the other members were aware of. Please post up any additional calibers that you know about if you don’t see them on the list. Thank you.

30-06
7 mm Rem Mag
.264 Win Mag
300 H&H
375 H&H
300 WBY Mag
25-06
.338 Win Mag
.300 Win Mag
7x64
.280 REM

Are you including all sako rifles possibly construed as finnbears? all large calibers and respective actions? There are pre 72s, Garcia imports, stoeger era, AV, AIII, AIV, 75s , 85s and beyond.
What is the extent of your inquiry?

Since I am very new to collecting Sako rifles, I am not sure I can intelligently answer that question. If I am not mistaken there is some question as to what actually makes a Finnbear a Finnbear. Some seem to believe that only the L61Rs with Finnbear stamped on the barrel are actual Finnbears but many guns are called Finnbears by others because in the deluxe model they have the Bear on the grip cap. I would very much like to hear more from others who have more experience and knowledge on this subject.

The models I know of that have been called Finnbear deluxes are: L61R, AV, and L691.

Hi all, I posted on another thread inquiring as to what calibers the Finnbear Deluxe was produced in. It was suggested that it might be a good idea to make a list so here goes. I am going to post the calibers that I know of and some of the other members were aware of. Please post up any additional calibers that you know about if you don’t see them on the list. Thank you.

30-06
7 mm Rem Mag
.264 Win Mag
300 H&H
375 H&H
300 WBY Mag
25-06
.338 Win Mag
.300 Win Mag
7x64
.280 REM

I have a L691 chambered to a .416 Rem Mag. and I believe it to be a Finnbear Deluxe (bear on bottom of grip and scroll work antelope on the magazine plate and scroll work on the bottom of tigger guard). Not sure if there is a way to confirm the model with a serial number.

I have a L691 chambered to a .416 Rem Mag. and I believe it to be a Finnbear Deluxe (bear on bottom of grip and scroll work antelope on the magazine plate and scroll work on the bottom of tigger guard). Not sure if there is a way to confirm the model with a serial number.
Sounds like a L691 Deluxe. Would you have any photos of this rifle?

Sounds like a L691 Deluxe. Would you have any photos of this rifle?
This gun was purchased brand new from Cater's Country in Houston. The muzzlebreak was on the rifle at time of purchase - I'm not sure if it was installed by SAKO or Carter's Country. I bought it to hunt Africa but didn't go. She has had less than a box of rounds through her to sight in the leupold scope. She shoots like a dream. Currently up for sale for $2900.

Attachments

• gun.jpg
    gun.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 32
  • gun2.jpg
    gun2.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 31
Sako did not offer muzzle brakes as a factory option on the L691, so it was installed as an aftermarket item.

This gun was purchased brand new from Cater's Country in Houston. The muzzlebreak was on the rifle at time of purchase - I'm not sure if it was installed by SAKO or Carter's Country. I bought it to hunt Africa but didn't go. She has had less than a box of rounds through her to sight in the leupold scope. She shoots like a dream. Currently up for sale for $2900.

Ok, this is definitely a L691 Deluxe. Date of manufacture would be between 1993-1997 and the likely serial number between 835 xxx - 913 xxx. Like Stonecreek mentioned, the muzzle brake is aftermarket which diminishes collector value. Would you happen to have the original factory box that the rifle came in?

Friend of mine bought one of these at a Montana gun show. Came with a box of ammo with only one missing. Sold as only being shot once. He took it home and fired it in his back forty. The next gun show he had it for sale on his table with the tag that said only shot twice with a box of ammo with only two missing...Messed his back up with that one...lol
Amazing.....

Understood Bill
I used to own a TGR-s in 30-378wby w/ muzzle break. Recoil similar to 7mag with the break but the cussion wave was enough to expell all drainage from the sinus regions , and not just the shooter but also everyone nearby. Without the break was ridiculous!
I’m not a DG hunter so I simply just don’t have the need. A 375 H&H would probably be the better choice in my opinion.
ERP’s “Tale of Two Shots” was humorous but I can definitely relate.
I sold that TRG-s to Stone!😇

PS..the engraving on the Floorplate is commonly referred to as the”Sakolope”

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back