Finnwolf VL63 Let me tell you about my Finnwolf......

Discussion in 'Sako Finnwolf VL63 lever actions' started by Heatheroo, Jul 8, 2020.

1. Heatheroo

Heatheroo Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    I grew up in Philadelphia in the 60's/70's. My father owned an auto repair business. He would occasionally take trades in lieu of cash for a repair. One day in the 70's, he brought home a Finnwolf .308. It had a Bushnell Scope Chief 4X scope and since I was the one in the family with bad eyes, he said I could use it for hunting. I did for a couple years (never shot anything) until one day something in the action broke. I took it to Jaegers in Jenkintown, which at the time was a high end gun shop. They immediately offered me $300 just for the magazine. Of course I refused and had the rifle repaired. When I told my father about this exchange, he did some research and immediately retired the rifle from active service. He bought me a Remington M700 30-06, which I shoot to this day. About 30 years ago my father broke up his collection between my 2 brothers and I. My oldest brother got the Finnwolf. He's not a shooter so the rifle has been gathering dust ever since. Fast forward and my father passed away a year ago. I eventually inquired with my brother if he would be interested in selling me the Finnwolf. He said to just take it.

So after 40 some years, the Finnwolf is back with me. It has the original peep sight back on it. The model number is VL63 and the SN is 2678. can anyone date this rifle/tell me more about it?

2. marlin92

marlin92 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    Welcome and congratulations on obtaining the VL63 from your brother and keeping a great rifle in the family. There is a factory record service available to obtain information which shows when the gun left the factory. You can order the report at the top of the page. But based on the serial your gun was likely produced in 1969.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
  3. Heatheroo

Heatheroo Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    Thanks! Maybe I'll get a report but 1969 is good enough for me.

Rogan Kinnear likes this.
  4. northernlights

northernlights Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New Hampshire
    Welcome to the SCC Forum! Great story by the way! I hope you'll post photos of your very special VL63 Finnwolf and stay active on the Forum. There are many Finnwolf enthusiasts here.

I'm wondering.... Is your Finnwolf marked "Bofors Steel" on the right side of the barrel just ahead of the receiver? For a high condition Finnwolf that would add considerable collector value. My .308 Finnwolf with s/n 2510 is Bofors marked and our 2 serial numbers are close. With a Bofors Steel marking it likely would move the date of your Finnwolf from 1969 to 1968.

Top: Firearms Intern'l .243 Finnwolf without a "Bofors Steel" marking;
    Bottom: .308 Finnwolf w/ the "Bofors Steel" marking.
    Both rifles have the coffin style 4 round magazine
    IMG_0211.jpeg

Note the change in the grip checkering pattern between approx. 1968 and 1969 (Keeping in mind that precisely correlating Sako s/n with dates is illusive w/o referencing the orig. Sako manuf. records which can be obtained thru the SCC.)
    IMG_1984.jpeg

5. Heatheroo

Heatheroo Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    I took a few pics. It does say Bofors Steel.

FW3.JPG FW2.jpg FW1.jpg FW4.jpg

6. northernlights

northernlights Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New Hampshire
    You have a great looking Finnwolf that carries a wonderful family story! Thanks for sharing with the Forum.

Heatheroo likes this.
  7. Heatheroo

Heatheroo Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    I had been planning to have some nice optics mounted but this virus has left me unemployed so I can't justify the expenditure at the moment. I'm thinking that is incentive to see what I can do using the peep sight.