Less is more?

Discussion in 'General Sako Discussions' started by waterwolf, Jan 13, 2020.

1. waterwolf

waterwolf Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA New Brunswick
    I have never wanted a lot of rifles, just the right ones. The longer I collected Sako the fewer I seemed to have. To begin with I reduced the collection down to fullstocks only. Then I gradually lost interest in everything but the L46s. And here I am now with only a few Sako rifles left.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020

2. Unclekax

Unclekax Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New York
    Quality over quantity is a good way to go.
    All the antique collectors I know say "buy what you like ".
    I try to be happy with what I do have as opposed to being unhappy with what I do not have.;)

3. waterwolf

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA New Brunswick
    I really did lose interest in Sakos made after the mid-70s, or whenever the exact date was, when they went to the bulky squarish stocks and heavier barrels...then I whittled down my L46s to only the very best ones (even sold my only 7x33), got rid of a few rare rifles (e.g. fullstock .222 Mag.) just because I didn't like the wood, sold all my "other brand" Sakos (Naaco and Browning) and also got rid of a few calibres for which I have no real use and/or don't enjoy shooting (.243 and 375 H&H). I ended up with a lean high quality group of Sako keepers (sharing a safe with other lightweight fullstock carbines like the Mauser Model S, Brno Model 22, M-S Model 1903, HVA 456, etc.) ...so it comes as a bit of a relief to have just bought a nice condition early L579 Mannlicher in .308. I still believe that "less is more," but now and again it feels good to buy a new gun.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2021
  4. bigcountry4me

bigcountry4me Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    I agree with unclekax - and if you decided to sell off certain pieces, then you’ve given someone else a great opportunity to own a fine rifle. You’ve most likely made people’s day by making these available. Some of the specimens you’ve posted are stunning.

Sometimes I look at my meager collection (compared to others here) and wonder when I’ll be able to actually use them all. I try, but there seems to be never enough time. As I get a little older I’ve considered the very same strategy, but it’s also sometimes difficult to let go.

5. gowyo

gowyo Sako Junkie

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Wyoming
    I think you're right WW. Let me know when the burden of owning that M78 Kokotukki becomes unbearable.

Gary

waterwolf and cl_leg like this.
  6. waterwolf

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA New Brunswick
    Will do. The M78 fullstock is the only later production (circa 1980?) Sako that I now have, but so far its a keeper...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 27, 2021
  7. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    The best I can recall, the only two P72/M78 Mannlichers we've seen have been owned by Canadian members. I wonder if any were imported to the U.S., or anywhere else for that matter?

8. waterwolf

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA New Brunswick
    two?..any documentation on the other one?

9. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Pardon my mistake.:confused: I was remembering your post from some time back about your M78 full stock, but didn't realize it was the same rifle. So, dial that back to just one, so far. Still, "all" of them are in Canada;).

gowyo, waterwolf and misako50 like this.