Latest puzzler

Discussion in 'Show us your Sako' started by PrecisionRifle15613, Aug 12, 2020.

1. PrecisionRifle15613

PrecisionRifle15613 Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    Really puzzled by this rifle.
    Sako Riihimaki 222 , but it's a single shot and based on serial number 42,xxx it was made in 1958 but is a factory single shot. Spoke to a few people at other places and it's been suggested it could have been built by a German Gunsmith/Gunmaker named Stiltch.......was told he used 6 groove Lothar Walther Barrels , and it's definitely 6 groove and would love to know more. Sako in Finland and US was no help at all. Any input would be greatly appreciated

Attached Files:

2. Tomball

Tomball Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    You have a rifle made by a gunsmith or private rifle maker using a Sako action. Barrel and wood is not Sako so you have what is commonly referred to as a custom rifle. There are some well known rifles made with Sako actions and barreled action but this is not one of them. There may be others than can add to my comments, but you do not have a “Sako” rifle just a rifle with a Sako action. No reason you cannot enjoy and use the rifle for your intended purpose.

3. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    IIRC, the solid bottom in the L46 single shot actions was pinned in place at the factory. Did you do a factory records check to confirm if your action left the factory as a single shot "action only". It is possible to make any action a single shot by adding the solid bottom feed plate. Your rifle is definitely a custom build, not a factory rifle, but who made the action a "single shot" should be able to be determined by comparing it to pics (somewhere here on the forum) of a factory "single shot" action.

4. ohiowayne

ohiowayne Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Ohio
  5. PrecisionRifle15613

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    That's isn't the way mine looks underneath. I'm aware this rifle is only Sako in action but the seriously strange part is that it's most certainly a factory single shot , not adapted. I didn't realize they made single shot Riihimaki's.

6. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Riihimaki is the name of the town the Sako factory is in, not a Model designation. Your action is a L46. The pic in the previous post is of a L461 & is slightly different than the L46 (which preceded the L461)single shot. IIRC the pins in the L46 were smaller in diameter & the bottom plate fits differently. Pics of yours would help identify what it actually is.

7. PrecisionRifle15613

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    This is bottom view

Attached Files:

8. PrecisionRifle15613

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    There is no bottom metal other than trigger guard and it's not got the adapter plate I've seen in others

Attached Files:

9. PrecisionRifle15613

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    Everything about this is very different than any others I've seen of this era , it's quite unique and finding accurate info has proved challenging

10. PrecisionRifle15613

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Pennsylvania
    Even this trigger is very different than most I've seen. This is very much like old Winchester triggers

Attached Files:

11. sraaw

sraaw Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Queensland
    That is a normal L46 trigger.