L691 Action

Discussion in 'Sako Long/Magnum Actions' started by nm_rifle, Jun 6, 2021.

1. nm_rifle

nm_rifle Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New Mexico
    I have a L691 action that I inherited. The action is complete with trigger, bolt, recoil lug, etc. I would like to build this into something nice - not just sell - and use it. The issue, I have little use for the magnum bolt that is with the action and would like to chamber in 25-06, and am having a heck of a time finding a bolt for this action. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I have looked at the "big" websites and have spoken with the folks at Accuflite. I do not want to simply sell it and buy a different receiver, you know it is my uncles.

One interesting fact - it is "white" and does not have a proof mark.

2. wombat

wombat Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Australia
    State/Region:
    AU Victoria
    Hello mm..........
    Maybe an option, as u have the magnum bolt, is a 7mm Rem Mag., not much bigger than a .257 calibre, you can load down, or use a lighter projectile, but you will always have the option for full loads if you happen to Hunt for something that requires a bit more punch!!
    This way you keep what you inherited....

My 2 bobs worth,
    All the Best... Jay

3. gunner620

gunner620 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    nm rifle, Private message sent. Jim

4. nm_rifle

nm_rifle Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New Mexico
    I am considering something along those lines..... but failed to mention the other Sako left - is 75 in 7mm rem mag.....

5. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    Just have a gunsmith put a bushing in the bolt face to fit the .473" cartridge head of the 25-06. Don't know if the extractor needs modified or not, but that's very doable as well. You don't "need" to find another bolt that is probably unobtainable, anyway. It has no proof mark because you can't proof fire an action without a barrel. Nearly all action only offerings are in the white so the barrel & action can be blued together so the bluing matches cosmetically.

6. CVCOBRA1

CVCOBRA1 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Illinois
    Throat a 264 Win Mag where you want it. Since the 6.5's seem to be all the rage now you have the perfect opportunity to build one too your specs. If you don't get the barrel hot you will have plenty of barrel life.

7. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    As Paulson says, the bolt face can be bushed to take a .473" cartridge head. However, before doing that be sure to check to see if the magazine feed rails will retain and feed the smaller cartridges. I'm not certain of the dimensions on an L691 action's magazine and whether the magazine made for magnum rounds will work with "standard" diameter cases.

If you want .25-06 ballistics in a belted magnum case then simply chamber for .257 Weatherby and load it a bit on the milder side. There is actually not much difference in the exterior ballistics of the two cartridges, and there isn't a deer, coyote, or pronghorn on Earth that can tell the difference when struck by a projectile from either of the two.

paulsonconstruction likes this.
  8. nm_rifle

nm_rifle Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New Mexico
    This sounds interesting. Not committed to the 25-06. This sounds like an interesting alternative.

I have not filled the magazine with the 25-06. This may factor into the decision process. The parts for this gun are very hard to find.