L61R with blued bolt

Discussion in 'Sako Long/Magnum Actions' started by barreltwister, Jan 29, 2020.

1. barreltwister

barreltwister Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    I'm looking at an L61R online and it looks very original but the bolt is blued. Guide rib and all.

I've never seen this on any L or A series Sako before.

It's a 3 lug bolt, Bofors stamp, Ser# 69XXX

Can the blued bolt be factory?

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020

2. CVCOBRA1

CVCOBRA1 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Illinois
    Does the underside of the bolt have the matching serial numbers etched on it? Never seen a blued bolt.

3. douglastwo

douglastwo Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    I think we all agree that regarding Sako, we should never say never. But having played with lots of L61's for 50+ years I've never seen or heard of one with a blued bolt body and bolt guide. I've also never seen the Bofors stamp on a L61 with a serial number higher than 395xx

4. barreltwister

barreltwister Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    Here are some pics. I plan to contact the seller and ask if it's reblued but the stamping does not look to have been polished.
    It is at a dealer and they may not know the history of it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. kirkbridgershooters

kirkbridgershooters Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Montana
    I would say bolt has definitely been blued. The barrel picture showing the right side of the action and the Bofors mark, certainly looks buffed, which is an indication of a reblue. Sako barrels always showed some sign of machining other than the high luster blue on a deluxe. The bolt handle looks polished as well as the rest of the bolt, another indication of a reblue. Sakos aren't immune from zealous idiots that think they have a better idea on what makes a rifle look good...

6. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    It's SOP to blue the whole bolt if you want the handle reblued. You can't just blue the handle, as it & the body are one piece. Then it's a matter of polishing off the blue on the bolt body to make it look like it did when it left the factory. In this case it was deemed unnecessary, as after all it is only cosmetic. Appears to be a quality polish & blue job.

kevinlg likes this.
  7. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    It is possible that the Bofors barrel could have been taken off of another rifle. It is also possible (but less likely) that the barrel is original and was found at the bottom of the bin several years after Sako had quit using the Bofors mark.

I agree that the bolt is the result of a re-blue.

8. kevinlg

kevinlg Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    No problem......

With a little time and patience, you can CAREFULLY disassemble the bolt. Then hand polish the unwanted "blue" with small pieces of scotchbrite red or gray(I forget which one worked best for me, the last time I "did" a bolt).

Hope this helps.

9. icebear

icebear Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Arizona
    Nice wood on that rifle. You don't often see fiddleback on a Sako of that vintage.