L61R stock refinish

Discussion in 'Sako Long/Magnum Actions' started by Robert J, Nov 3, 2020.

1. Robert J

Robert J Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA British Columbia
    Recently I have acquired an L61R in 25-06 from the original owner . He was a hunter and the rifle has been hunted. There are bumps , scrapes and gouges in various spots but the worst is just below the forward sling swivel. When I first saw the gun there was a sling with a protruding attachment that corresponds to the damage , obviously from from that sling attachment. Thinking about refinishing the stock but the finish on it is very solid and hard . Question : Does anyone know what type of finish was used on these stocks ? OR is there a product that can be applied over the damage like a Varathane or Diamond Kote ?

2. stonecreek

stonecreek SCC Secretary Forum Owner SCC Board Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    If your not big into wood refinishing then small bumps in Sako glossy finishes can be hidden fairly successfully with Birchwood Casey TruOil. Just dab a bit on the finger tip and spread thinly. But it sounds like from the condition of the stock you describe that it needs more serious attention (if you want it to look really nice.) Probably nothing short of a professional refinish would be useful. There are several good wood finishing guys on this board who can kick in with more professional advice.

3. bigcountry4me

bigcountry4me Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    Frankly and honestly, there’s no product or method to go over a gloss Sako finish and expect an acceptable result. I don’t know what products Sako used but some of the older finishes strip rather easily, while others take much more work. Typically in my experience later models have a very hard poly urethane ish quality. If you feel the rifle is unacceptable as is ,then a complete refinish would be in order in my opinion. If you attempt some type of cover coat you’ll end up with a mess.

Sometimes leaving well enough alone is best depending on the severity of the bumps and scuffs. Because it’s a .25-06 you most likely will do a disservice by covering or refinishing it. My point is .25-06 Sako rifles are somewhat sought after. Not that its a collector, based on you description, but the value could be affected negatively if you try something and it turns out bad.

A few photos would be helpful.

In my experience, leave it be, or completely refinish it. Hope this helps.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2020
    lord frith likes this.
  4. Robert J

Robert J Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA British Columbia
    DSC04516.JPG DSC04518.JPG DSC04520.JPG DSC04516.JPG DSC04518.JPG DSC04520.JPG DSC04522.JPG DSC04523.JPG DSC04524.JPG DSC04516.JPG

Attached Files:

5. Robert J

Robert J Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA British Columbia
    I have posted a number of photos , Are they not visable ? I am practiced in stock refinishing but this seems similar to a Browning finish which was very tough to do work with. I am in a conundrum and may just leave it alone and use as is .....BUT it is such a beautiful rifle and the wood ...

6. bigcountry4me

bigcountry4me Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Oregon
    Appreciate the photos. If it were mine I would not do anything to alter it. It a nice older Deluxe with some obvious character wear. .25-06 in a Deluxe rifle is a good one to have for sure. Even with the rubs and bumps it’s value could be seriously affected if altered.

deergoose and Unclekax like this.
  7. Robert J

Robert J Member

Country Flag:
    Canada
    State/Region:
    CA British Columbia
    Thank-you All for the advise . I will for now leave and shoot . It is a hunters rifle and has that energy . Cheers !

Unclekax likes this.
  8. paulsonconstruction

paulsonconstruction Sako-addicted

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Iowa
    It's a well worn Deluxe with honest character blemishes. It's way beyond ever being a "collector" grade rifle & anything you do will only detract. I agree with the others. LEAVE IT ALONE!!

lord frith and Unclekax like this.
  9. lord frith

lord frith Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Belize
    State/Region:
    US Washington
    Yup.

10. northernlights

northernlights Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US New Hampshire
    Very nice hunting rifle. Enjoy sitting around the campfire listening to its stories.

11. lord frith

lord frith Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    Belize
    State/Region:
    US Washington
    I would bet the stock has had a recent re-spray. The darkness of the scratches indicates (to me anyway) new finish having crept under the original. Also, some of the scratches are glossy, signaling a re-coat. The finish absent from the heads of the cross bolts also suggests some aggressive sanding having occurred. The rather blended colors of the rosewood grip cap showing sand-throughs is another flag of suspicion.
    Leave it and love it or restore at this juncture will not raise its value as others have posted. Full strip-to-the-wood restoration or nothing. Anything between the 2 will result in frustration.
    Luck,
    Stephen